Key Largo Dive Center shop review / trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SoBay Jim

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Recently, I decided to add diving to a trip already planned to Florida, so I went looking for a dive shop in Key Largo and read as many posts here as I could find. Ended up sending a PM to Elena at Key Largo Dive Center and decided to go with them. Great choice! I called and told CLee that I wanted to take pictures. She then asked a question I hadn't considered. Did I want to ship my dive gear? It had never entered my mind how much easier it would be to drop my overweight bag at my favorite shipping store than to lug it through the airport. So, I shipped my gear, got an email confirming arrival and flew out a few days later. Elena and CLee are great. They had made arrangements for me and a local dive guide, Tim Grollimund, to dive the Spiegel Grove and the Benwood. The diving was fantastic! (See the attached pics)When it all was done, CLee washed my equipment and when it was dry, she packed it back up and shipped it to my house. Overall it's a well run shop staffed by divers who care about the overall experience of their customers.
Baracuda.jpgBaracuda 2.jpgParrot Fish.jpgQueen Angel.jpgQueen Angel 2.jpgRibs of the Benwood.jpg

My Pelican case loaded with vacation gear came in close to 60 pounds, which would have cost $50.00 each way to check on the airlines. Shipping from CA to FL was about $90.00 each way. I was more than happy to pay the extra when I considered the benefits; no TSA people opening my bag, FedEx shipping included insurance against loss or damage, and I didn't have to drag it through the airport or load it in/out of the rental car.

Obviously shipping rates will vary with weight, distance and location (the guy at my shipping store told me delivery to rural areas can cost more.)

Good to know, I was considering shipping my gear to the keys for an upcoming trip in may.

Good to hear about Key Largo Dive Center. We're headed there the end of May. Can you tell us more about the dive trips and your experience while there?

Jim, Great diving with you when you were here. Nice shots and thanks for the kind words.

Willar and kooozemani, May is a great time to be here. Last May we had eagles rays all over the place, water is a bit warmer by then (mid-70's F right now), less windy than now.

Thanks Jim for the compliments! We enjoyed spending time with you and look forward to your next visit. Hope to see you again at Scuba Show in May.

Good to hear about Key Largo Dive Center. We're headed there the end of May. Can you tell us more about the dive trips and your experience while there?

Willar,
My diving was limited to a single day on the Spiegel Grove and Benwood. It was a two tank boat dive with a very short ride from the dock to the wreck - less than 20 minutes as I recall. Both dives were easy drops down the mooring lines.

On the Spiegel Grove, Tim and I had discussed my preferences - no penetration and maximize bottom time. So, we stayed on a fairly small portion of the wreck. I would guess the water temp was in the mid 70s and I was comfortable in my 4/2 full suit, booties, no gloves, and a beanie. We spent about 38 minutes on the first dive with a max depth of about 80' and spent a hour on the second site with a max depth of 40'. I can't quote the water temps because my computer battery died when I went to pull the data for this post (after years of fantastic service from my OMS wrist mount!).

There was plenty of life on the Spiegel Grove, including a small school of baracuda. Overall a VERY nice dive.

The Benwood was also a nice dive, though with the ship having been sunk 70 or so years ago, it was not quite "in tact". There were small groupers, queen angels, crabs and a bunch of species I'd have to look up. Overall, I was very glad that I at least got one day in and will have to work it into a future trip to spend much more time on the wrecks in the keys.

There was what I would call a very mild current and good 40+ visibility. The seas were coming up a little which is why I could only dive one day. I had planned for two days with a possibility of a third, but the wind came up and it was too rough to go out and have any fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom