key largo currents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nkri23

Reaction score
in early march we are taking the family down to key largo for 5 days or so. We were thinking of renting a boat for the familiy and I was wondering are the currents strong, are they unpredictable? if there is someone who could recomend boat rentals that would greatly appreciated. I looked through the previous threads and could not find anything on rentals.

THANKS

I guess it depends how far offshore you are as you get closer to the gulf stream, but they can be strong.

I've been on French Reef for example with no currents and then in the same week so much current that we did a drift dive instead.

Also have been on the Spiegal Grove with a current so strong that if you turned your head to the side it would grab your mask and regulator and "remove" them from your head if you didn't hold on to them with your hand. Doesn't mean it's always gonna be that strong, but it's possible.

Below is a pic I took of two divers I was diving with looking over the pilot/wheel house on the Spiegal Grove in strong current. We were using the wheelhouse to block the current, but you can see the bubbles going almost horizontal from the divers.

there are a couple of places tavernier boat rentals in tavernier creek right next to conch republic divers.robbies boat rentals and check holiday isle they have rentals also, in reference to the current common sense dictates and the wrecks usually have alot more current then the reefs.

nkri23:
I was wondering are the currents strong, are they unpredictable?
Like weather, brown-eyed girls and the stock market, everyone think they
have a way to predict what's going to happen. My method is posted in our
web site with address below. Take a peek, take a guess and good luck !!
Just let me know how you fared.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom