Key Largo, August vs September

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Timmyjoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, newish diver here. I dove Key Largo this past April and enjoyed it. After talking with the folks there about diving this summer, they recommended diving in Mid-September vs any time in the summer. Their reasoning, lots of fish, like in summer, but fewer divers, and cooler temps. So I was planning a Mid-September trip.

Now Mid-September is not looking good because of work issues, but I may be free for a week in early August. For those who know the Key Largo area, how bad is a week in early August diving there, compared to a week in Mid-September? What issues am I going to run into? Trying to figure out if it would be worth the trek.

Any and all info folks would like to share will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Best,
-Tim

I don't think there is much of a difference in either month. In Aug and Sept the air temp is going to be hot. The water temp is going to be pretty similar in both of them. I would go when you get a chance to go.

if possible I'd consider avoiding august 6th and the following 5 days or so. it's the opening of the regular spiny lobster season(not the mayhem of mini season but not far off); crowded reefs/roads/restaurants , higher room rates,,,

the reefs quiet somewhat beginning Monday august 18th(1st day of public school in Monroe county!!!!)

reefman
key largo

I would pick August every time. I have been chased out of the keys more than once in September by hurricanes and tropical storms. Even normal winds and weather seem to be worse once you hit September in Florida.

Thanks for everyone's input. The dates I would be able to travel to Key Largo are unfortunately August 2nd to August 9th, so I would hit the spiny lobster season. Bummer.

Best,
-Tim

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom