Key Largo Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gregmercer

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm planning a trip to Key Largo for the middle of May and am looking for some advice. I would like to dive two days and was hoping someone could steer me in the right direction as to where to dive and boat recommendations. Two of the people in the group are newly certified so we'll have to stick to some shallower dives.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Hi gregmercer,
Start with checking out the FL Conchs Forum http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-conch-divers/ and this sticky thread Florida Keys Guide which is loaded with info. Use the SEARCH :search: feature to find recent posts about the Keys - this is a very very frequently asked topic and there is quite a bit of info on diving, dive sites, water temps, lodging, dining, trip reports, etc. You'll read about frequently praised dive ops - there are many to choose from depending on the type of diving &/or training you wish to do. Several of the Keys dive ops folks are part of the Scubaboard family and are more than happy to answer your questions. There isn't much shore diving in the Keys. Boats take you a short ride 4-6 miles off shore to some of the world's finest reefs and wrecks. Most of the dive sites are 20-35 ft deep and perfect for newbies or snorklers as well as divers. Only the deep wrecks such as the Duane or the Speigel Grover require Adv. Open Water certification or higher.
You'll have a blast in the Keys.

My personal opinion is that Islamorada 10 min south of Key Largo has better shallow reefs with less diver traffic. Rainbow Reef dive center (rainbowreef.us) puts a guide in the water for free. Conch Republic is another great dive center they are in Tavenier, which is between Key Largo and Islamorada. The Rainbowreef.us website has interactive dive sites that have history and pics. Once you know the sites go on you tube and watch videos of the reefs. Staying in Key Largo is cheaper then Islamorada. Rainbow reef also has a location hear. Less then 5 people going, stay at Ramada. More then 5, stay a Suite at KEy Largo. Keys are a great place to dive. So good that I travel from MD every year. I would say MAy thru Sept. are the best months. First trip was in Dec. '06 Only made three dives and they were in 6 foot swells. GOne everyyear since in July and made 10 -15 dives in 5 days. IF you can try a night dive at either Molases Reef or Benwood wreck - lot of fun and different perspective. Lots of good eats in LArgo and ISlamorada. Have a great time.

I'll be in Key Largo with my 2 (kids 16 &11) over Easter scheduled to dive with Silent World I'll let you know how it goes.

As everyone has pointed out, read the reviews on here that others have posted.....select a couple shops and then call and talk to them. Make sure their "personality" fits yours----then come on down to the Keys and enjoy yourself! :)

Pat

I'd take a look at the links under Pat's post first. Silent World has a bunch of great people there. I was just down there diving for an entire week and they never took us to the same place twice. There are a ton of sights out there in the 30 foot range with a lot of different fish to see. You can even get guides for the newly certified divers if you don't feel comfortable (Andy and Jen are great). All in all, they really go out of their way to make sure you get the most out of your money.

Thanks for your help. I'm new to this whole forum thing and will be sure to do more searching before I ask anymore questions!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom