Kevlar Drysuit comments wanted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know what suit you are talking about!!!
My buddy was using it in commercial work but had problems with it leaking around the seems, couln't do a thing with it!! Mabey that was a lemon or the fact that he beat the crap out of it!!

He loved the suit except for the small leaking!!

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

Where do we get them. :D

??S: Wouldn't a Kevlar suit be sewn with Kevlar thread?
And what about flexibility?

You'd have to see it Pug. It's just as flexible, if not more so, than a TLS.

I'm not saying where it's coming from -yet- as I'm not convinced if it will stand up. It's made somewhere over on "this side". Evidently they can't make threads out of Kevlar or it's not practical, as something else is used.

Usil's comment regarding seem leakage was one of the comments I heard regarding this style of suit. I'm going to check into it further and, good or bad, will post back.

MechDiver once bubbled...

Evidently they can't make threads out of Kevlar or it's not practical, as something else is used.

Well, Kevlar thread is actually very common. Fly-tyers use it for tying up some of the salt-water streamer patterns on those *really* big hooks. It's only about 15-20% more expensive than regular thread.

My thoughts would be that using Kevlar thread wouldn't allow a really 'tight' stitch, since the thread is pretty thick. This would jive with the leakage issue mentioned already.

I also am *really* doubtful that the suit is around a pound. Even a plastic drysuit would weight more than that. Again, there are super-light fly-fishing waders that are incredibly cheaply made, and they weigh more than a pound, and they are only chest waders.

Nate

Back
Top Bottom