Kenny's MoCal Labor Day Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation

Relocated to South Florida....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
What a weekend!

Every year I go away for Labor Day weekend. Jaye (my wife) is a school teacher and in LA her year begins on the Tuesday or Wednesday following Labor Day. So for, her the long weekend us usually spend writing 23 kid’s names a hundred times on stuff, stapling, folding, stacking, photocopying, etc. So I get booted out for 3 or 4 days and go dive.

This year, instead of a 3-day live-aboard trip, we decided to visit Monterey! Some of my fav diving is in MoCal, and I haven’t been there this year, yet.

Thursday Night – Arrive late night Thursday and do a face plant. There are no dive plans for Friday, so Friday will be dedicated to getting stuff done to prepare for diving Sat, Sun and Monday. Most of the time I’m in Monterey in Spring and Winter. It was probably the warmest I’ve ever seen it when I arrived later Thursday night. I was in shorts and I wasn’t freezing. This is news, as I don’t think I’ve ever been in MoCal with the sun down and it still in the 60’s.

Friday – this was the day dedicated to preparation. My plan was to dive the weekend with Claudette as my buddy, and we had lots to get done. Many friends were coming in for this weekend, and I knew I needed to get my act together.

It was glorious having a day before a dive weekend completely free to get stuff done. I have to remember to schedule a “do stuff” day before big dive trips in the future. Apart from some big errands like picking up my second housing from Light & Motion, and going to get Claudette’s Otter Bay 12mm helmet cut by the mastah, there was lots of little stuff too: Prepping the second housing, fitting and trimming the Dive Xtras new harness, fitting the Al13 Argon bottle to my rig, buying a Nitrox card at Aquarius, Shopping for munchables for the lunch feast to come on Saturday, changing batteries in back up lights, and a host of other small things that always seem to get put off.

So with all of the errands run, all of the stuff picked up and everything working, all that was left was dinner in Carmel and back to the Lone Oak for a face plant.

Next: Saturday!!!

---
Ken

Saturday – We had reservations in Lobos for all three days (Sat, Sun, Mon) so the plan was to meet up with everyone Saturday morning, break into teams and go see what’s doing.

Because of all the visiting and talking and visiting and talking, we didn’t get into the water for quite awhile. There was a small scooter emergency, so all of us who have taken apart an X-scooter jumped in to assist – the upshot of which pushed us to not splash until late that morning.

I’ve had two housings and two UW rigs for awhile – I’ve just never taken them under at the same time. Its been my intention to – I’ve just never handed one off to Claudette and said “shlep this, please…”

So I did on Saturday.

It was amazing.

To be able to shoot both Macro (so many Nudis and Shrimp and cool small stuff to shoot) and Wide Angle (JELLIES!!!) on the same dive is a blessing. I dived with the 12-24mm lens in the 10” glass dome and carried this wide angle rig while Claudette muled the 60mm and Macro Rig. We will be doing this from now on. It is so liberating to be able to shoot what the ocean throws at us by having both rigs in the water!

Dive #1: Hole in the Wall, Betos, Sisters uno, dos, tres, Short-cut reef and back to the ramp.

Holy Scooterrific, Batman! We splashed (Me, Claudette, James, Janet) and motored out to Hole in the Wall. The water outside of whalers was very clear. We go to the hole, peeked in at a wonderful greenling hanging out and continued on our way. We rounded the second sister and trapped on the side of it was a Scrambled Egg jelly. Its long tentacles were wrapped in the coral and rocks and it was unable to move. I got some shots of James and Claudette with the jelly, and we moved on.

After rounding the third sister, James and Janet waved buh bye (we were diving 130’s, they were diving 100’s.) I confirmed with James and Claudette that the directions to Short Cut and back home were solid, they confirmed and we waved bye.

I traded cameras with Claudette and starting shooting some Macro on the third sister – there is so much good stuff there.

We were backing up against our NDL so I traded back and took the wide angle from her. As we started to leave the tether I had put on the large Wide Angle rig broke and the Camera housing started to sink into abyss. I gave chase and grabbed it (the Wide Angle sinks very slowly because of the all the air in the glass dome…. If this was the Macro I’d be in trouble.) I pulled out my shears to trim off the tether shards, drop my shears into the abyss, unclipped my fin keeper and fashioned a tether that I would use the rest of the trip.

We headed to Middle Reef, shot another Jelly on the way and then headed home. An excellent first dive. Great viz, good friends, some fun shots!

We got back in to shore, dumped out gear, got out of the dry suits and immediately set up the table and chairs and rolled out the mother of all surface intervals with sparkling lime / berry juice, brie, basil, baguettes, grapes, and more. The table was festooned with a white table cloth, a vase filled with local flowers, fine glass stemware, real napkins and of course, a bottle of Grey Poupon.

Game. Set. Match.

LobosSept2009.jpg

LobosSept2009Cheers.jpg

Dive #2: Coal Chute caves, Granite point wall, Middle Reef, back to the ramp

With the conditions being as mellow as it was on Sat, James took us over to the caves. I’d never been there, so I was pretty fired up.

I was really surprised – its pretty cool. But because that area takes it in the teeth, and the fact that there is no light beneath the overhang, it is a little creepy to see all of the life on the rocks and sand come to an abrupt halt.

We turned from there and scootered over to Granite Point Wall. I love that area – lots to see on the wall. More macro shots, some more jellies and then around the corner to some other pinnacle. James and Janet waved good bye (we were diving 130’s, they had 80’s for this dive) and Claudette and I went rock peeping. After shooting lots of Nudi’s (and several laying eggs) we turned to middle reef (the other side this time) and headed for home.

We got back, shared stories and took down. We all met at Aquarius not too long later for fills and more fun, then met at PF Changs for a large group dinner with several other MoCal luminaries, including Cynthia, Nils and Kevin and some buddies James and Janet brought – Merlin and Danni. Great dinner, fun times. Showed some photos, laughed a bunch, made plans for Sunday and returned to my room at the Loan Oak for a face plant.

Next: SUNDAY!!!

---

Ken

Sunday – Diving on Chuck’s boat! On Saturday morning, Ben V introduced Claudette and I to Chuck Tribolet as he was launching his boat at Lobos. I’ve been reading his posts and seeing his pictures for years and years – it was a thrill to finally meet him. Ben came back to us about 20 minutes later Ben returned with an invitation from Chuck for Claudette and I to join him on Sunday. I was so excited a did a little dance, said yes and then composed myself.

We met Chuck in line at Lobos at 7:45 AM. We loaded some stuff into the boat, then drove down to park. We loaded the rest of the stuff in, and he gave me a quick lesson on how to launch the boat.

Huh? :shocked2:

So me, having never piloted any boat with a wheel is supposed to back this off the trailer, keep it off the rocks, and wait until he parks and swims out? Uh, OK. For the record, I didn’t wreck the boat.

#1: Great Pinnacle, North side (the good side!)

WOW. We pulled out of the cove and anchored near the Great Pinnacle. I’m no stranger to small boat diving, but Chuck has this process dialed. His direction and preferences were very clear, his anchoring was precise and everything so far was perfect.

We drop over the side one at a time – first me, then Claudette. We wait for Chuck, who made it clear when he rolls off he won’t be surfacing. Perfecto. He rolls, she and I drop, we all meet up at about 10 FSW and we kick down the anchor line.

The Great Pinnacle is right where he said it would be. And it is great. Very, very clear water below about 80 FSW. Lots of Macro life, more Scrambled Egg Jellies so I’m getting wides and macros on the same dive. I’m kinda liking this two rig thing!

Slice o' Life

Chica and the Jelly

Jelly Eye! (for a super wide low rez version of this shot, click here)

In the parking lot prior to me flawlessly backing out the boat :)eyebrow:) I heard Kevin and Nils talking about scootering out to the Great Pinnacle – and it’d be funny if we’re still out there when they arrive. Well about 15 minutes into the dive, I hear the unmistakable whirr of an X-scooter motor. I look up and see two HID lights, in perfect formation, blasting towards me out of the misty distance. Sure enough, its Kevin and Nils, arriving just when they said they would! They buzzed the Pinnacle a time or two, then went off to do the rest of their dive.

Not long after the fly by, Chuck waves buh bye (he’s in a 100, we’re in 130’s) and Claudette and I do another 12 minutes or so before returning to the anchor line and making a very slow ascent.

As only my third dive in the new Dive Xtras parachute-style harness, it was an interesting bit of self patting and contortion to get OUT of my rig in the water and clipping it off to the lines on Chuck’s boat. Its all good, but after 1400 dives in a standard crotch strap rig, it was a little wacky groping around to release the rig. :no:

We climb back on board, pull in the rigs, pull anchor and head back for the cove. The plan is to get back to the cove, Claudette and I hop into the water and kick our rigs back to shore, trade out cylinders, kick back to the boat, re-load, have a mellow lunch in the cove and head out for the second dive.

Of course its very warm, and working to haul gear and the anchor saw me develop quite the schitvz… so I open my drysuit zipper about 6 inches.

You see where this is going. :shocked2:

We get to the cove, I fill my wing, toss over my rig and let myself slide down the port side of the boat into the water.

The very COLD water… :shakehead:

I pull myself back up – Chuck zips my suit and I kick this raft to the ramp, carry it to my truck and change out cylinders. I dash to the hotel and am back in 30 minutes with dry undies – ready for dive #2!

Dive #2: Blue Fish wall

Another epic dive. This wasn’t so much a wall as a tumble down jumble of large rocks – each holding more life than the next. Shrimp, coral, tunacates, bryzoans, Nudibranchs, Abalone and so much more. I found a really cool juvi kelp fish that was running all over a kelp leave and entertaining us doring our slow ascent. A great macro dive. Didn’t bust out the W/A at all for this one.

(for a slow rez super-wide version of this shot, click here)

Stereo Egg Laying

Juvi Kelp Fish

Brier Patch

Ab on the run (who knew they had eyes?? - for a super wide low rez version, click here)

We dived along as a threesome, then Chuck headed back to the boat. Claudette and I played for another 10 minutes or so then headed up, got a bearing, and kicked back to the boat. I grope myself a lot less getting out of the new harness, we load in and head back to the cove.

We get to the cove, and now things get interesting. Chuck pulls the boat up to the ramp, and basically hops in. So now I’m there, Mr never piloted a boat before, left with very clear instructions to hang out until he gets back with the trailer – its not occurring to me that I’m going to drive this beautiful boat onto the trailer.

Me. :confused:

Uh, OK.

So we motor in the cove for a bit while Chuck takes his truck up and re-attaches it to the trailer, then drives the trailer down to the ramp, then backs it in. This was the longest 15 minutes of my life, as I’m working on my forward and reverse nuance preparing to coax this baby onto the trailer (as opposed to, say nearly sending Claudette flying the first time I mashed it into reverse this morning….)

Chuck pulls in, gives very specific direction, I field goal the trailer without incident, give a very large sigh of relief and start unloading our stuff.

What a day.

Dinner Sunday night is with most of our Saturday night crew at Montrio Bistro. Small yummy bites, great wine, our usually large group table… most excellent evening. I return to my room at the Lone Oak and do a face plant.

Next: MONDAY!!!

---

Ken

Last edited:
Monday – Today Kevin is taking us to g find Doc Wong’s arch. Its going to be James, Kevin, Claudette and I. We gear up, and brief. We establish that James and Kevin are a team, and Claudette and I are a team – and if the four of us get separated we won’t surface, but we’ll just carry on as two teams. We all agree, we splash and we’re off!

Dive 1a + 1b: Northern tip of Middle Reef, Granite Point wall, wrapping around towards Mono-Lobo wall, cross-over to Betos, Sand Channel home

As we’re making the turn from Middle reef towards Granite Point, the surge is really picking up. The viz is dropping, surge is unreal (as in scooter-stopping surge. You're blasting along in 5th, then you're going nowhere - then you're shot out of a cannon!) and its just getting nasty down there. We tighten up and its all good. Kevin knows this area so well, so we’re bobbin’ and weavin’, looking for the arch and some fun stuff. This area has lots of newish kelp – the real stringy stuff. Scootering with a camera is clumsy under the best of circumstances – throw in all the swaying stringy kelp with the surge and the camera turns into a kelp snare grabbing string after string as you go by.

About 26 minutes into Kevin’s wild ride (and its been really neat so far) I turn and Claudette’s not there. I kick back a bit and I don’t see her, and I look ahead and James and Kevin are getting smaller and smaller in the bad viz. I figure she got caught in the kelp (this is her 3rd dive with a camera on a scooter) and in this viz it only takes a moment to get separated. I know I’m completely lost, I figure Claudette is pretty lost, so I decide to leave the area where I last saw Claudette and try to catch up to James and Kevin so we can come back and find her. I should say this: there were probably several ways to handle this situation, but in retrospect, I would have made this same decision again – go get the guy who knows where we are and how to get back home, and bring him back to the situation.

Kevin is on a Sierra using a battery that is not of this earth, James is on a cuda and I’m shlepping a very large wide angle camera rig with 4 foot arms on my #2 battery. I’m not gaining on them, so now I’m kicking as I scoot. I get to them, get their attention and breathlessly make the sign, “there’s three of us here, the 4th is back there…” I’m pretty wide-eyed and completely breathless, and at this time not really sure my sign made sense – so I make it again slower. James looks at Kevin. Kevin makes the sign, “we’re going back” and we do. I am so relieved to have most of the team back together I start to breathe easier.

I was watching my compass as I chased down the rocket twins, so I take us back the same way I came from. We’re looking, looking, and not seeing anything we decide to pop. We do a slow ascent and Claudette comes up maybe 25 yards from us on the other side of a very large kelp patch. We acknowledge, then she drops under the kelp and joins us.

It was a text book separation and re-connect scenario. I was correct, she wasn’t hurt or lost – just caught some kelp in the camera arms, looked down for a moment and we were gone. Conditions weren’t terrible, the pop to the surface was mellow – but leaving Claudette to race down the guys and reunite the team was a pretty tough thing for me to do.

So now we start the second half of the dive (Dive 1b) – Kevin takes us out of the surge and soup towards better viz. We blast past another Pinnacle where another Scrambled Egg Jelly is hanging out. I motion Claudette and James over to the Jelly for a shot. James, now in his second day of modeling for me, is a completely different dude in the water. His light is on the subject, his chin is out, his trim is even more perfect (as if his trim could be any more perfect) and the two of them look great.

I fold up the rig and we begin our trek over acres of sand towards the tip of Beto’s.

This 12 minute journey over the sand, in the clearest water I’ve ever seen in Monterey, were my favorite moments underwater the entire weekend. We’re weaving in and out of large Jellies in the water, the sand is below us, 100 feet above us you can see the surface, Claudette and I are watching James and Kevin blast along in perfect formation – the tranquility and sense of hugeness of the space was amazing to me. You don’t often feel that much space – but it felt like I was diving in the largest aircraft hangar in the world, and it was just the 4 of us. It was wonderful.

We get to the tip of Beto’s, and as Kevin promised, there is the wolf eel. I trade rigs with Claudette, open up the Macro and fire off a shot. I look, adjust the strobes, and take one more. I fold up, we trade back and we’re off.

Kevin points out a large (MoCal large, not Edmond’s large) Ling Cod sitting on some promontory. I start to unfold the wide angle to get a shot. Right now were at about minute 55 of this dive. I see a light in my mask, I look over at Claudette. She flashes me the 700 PSI sigh, and gives the signal for Home. I immediately stop setting up the W/A, fold it back up and we’re off for the cove.

We’re very close to the cove and Claudette stops and tells me she has 400 PSI. We’re really shallow (about 29 feet or so) and she says she wants to share with me. I say sure, give her the hose and about a moment later my scooter dies.

I hike the scooter and clip off, grab the leg of her parachute harness and she takes us the rest of the way in, piloting her scooter breathing my long hose. This was probably about 2 or 3 minutes. We’re now in the cove, and we’re at about 20-ish. She returns the long hose and proceeds to tow me the rest of the way to the ramp.

WHAT A DIVE!!!!!

We get back to the cars, we do the famous MoCal curbside rinse, load up, I get changed into driving clothes and its time to head to lunch with everyone for one last meal together before heading back to L.A.

This was such an excellent trip. 5 great dives. So many firsts. My first dives in the wacky and uber comfortable Dive Xtras parachute harness. My very first dives with an argon bottle (Argon… I still don’t know.) My first dives with two housings in the water. My first tow with the new harness. My first Tow with donated long hose with the new harness (!) My first drysuit zipper blunder (resetting the count from about 1300 now back to two.) First time I drove a boat onto a trailer. First time diving with Chuck. First time re-assembling a scooter alfresco. First time seeing MoCal in the 70 degree range. First meal at MoCal Chipotle (my fav lunch hang) So many firsts I could fill a page.

To James and Janet – you two are so special. Janet with your infectious smile and quickness to laugh, savoring every moment. James, you are such a giver – you pour into your family, your friends, the dive community, and your buddy team. You two live life WFO, and I love that so much. A 4 day weekend with you guys isn’t even enough. I want more.

Kevin
– thanks for the great lead on Monday. Thanks for the fun stories at dinner, thanks for immediately spinning the three of us around to go find Claudette. Thanks.

Danni and Merlin – so good to meet you both!!! Next time I see you Danni, its drysuit time, right?

Nils – thanks for making the trip with Kevin to the Great Pinnacle. There was something so cool and so one-upish about seeing a couple of rock stars scooter out to a dive spot I just took a boat to. Nicely done.

Ben V – you are the funniest guy north of Los Angeles (I got it covered down here&#8230:wink: Great to see you, and thanks for the Chuck hook up. Seriously – thanks a bunch.

Doc,
and Cynthia, and Team Bunny, and Team Kitty, and all the other old and new friends I saw… wow. I love diving Monterey. I can say it again. I love diving Monterey. I can’t wait to get back. December – I am so returning.

Claudette
– you are the best. Thank you for being so willing to take a big ol’ camera rig with you on every dive this trip. Without agenda and without grumbling, and not being a photographer there is no reason for you to schlep this around, except I know you do it for the team – so we don’t miss a shot. You are one in a million. Thanks for the great dives and the great trip.

Some more shots below. Here’s the full gallery (LINK) I have some more I’ll be putting into the gallery over the next several days – so come back and see it!

Here’s a link to a thread I started Friday when I arrived – I was going to do a MoCal blog… but I ended up coming back to the Lone Oak and doing a face plant every night…

---

Ken

Last edited:
Woohoo! The sun always comes out a bit more whenever we have friends visiting! I think mother nature wanted to show off for Ken's camera.

Also, hose over at DMX had a running preview of the story and pictures over the last week :wink:

Great reports and pics Ken!! Sorry I missed you and Claudette on this trip. Hope to see you in Dec.

I'm pretty sure we knew almost everyone that was there that weekend... next time you'll need a bigger table :)

Great pictures, super reports and outstanding weekend of hanging out with some of the warmest divers I know :)

Great pictures and report! Always liked your underwater shots, and the abalone shot is news to me!

Sorry we were out of town, I look forward to your next visit. Or dropping by your local waters.

Yeah, that ab shot is crazy! I never knew they had eyes either. :shocked2:

Back
Top Bottom