Kenny's MoCal Labor Day Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adm. Linda and I are down south diving (did the Yukon today in 30' vis),
and have been somewhat Internet-impaired.

I was glad to have you two on boat Sunday. Thanks for setting it up, Ben.

Nice pictures. How about sharing the details of your rig (and esp. how
NO BACKSCATTER).

I really can't say enough about how great it was to dive with you on that Sunday. Just one of the highlights of our trip.

Details on the rig are here, and here, and here.

Backscatter info is here.

All of the wides in MoCal on this trip were shot with my 12-24mm lens. That means I need to back off a bit, but I can still get pretty close. I use very long arms on my W/A rig - 14" I think. Two on each side. Add in the clamps, strobe body and camera housing and my strobes, when fully extended, are close to 7 feet apart. I try to land the light on the subject and light through the subject - never illuminating the subject directly.

The key is to not light up the water between the front of the dome and the subject - that's where backscatter lives. I'll get strobe bleed sometimes at the widest settings on the lens, but I don't get much backscatter. The most egregious stuff I'll pick out, but the water was so clear up there I didn't need to do much to these shots.

White balance is important. You don't want the skin of the divers in the picture to look all Casperesque. Find something in the shot that is gray and go from there.

Avoiding macro backscatter is easy - you just approach by stealth, work fast and get out of there before the stuff gets in the shot.

So good to see you. Hope you liked the Yook. I have lots of shots of Claudette on there that we love.

---
Ken

Chica Yooking it up! A view from the inside

At the funnel

Double Dolphin

On our descent to the Yook, a salp chain drifted by!

White Tower

Back
Top Bottom