Kelp forests in the UK and in Europe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the UK I've only dived Scotland. I'm based on the west coast of Ireland and Diving kelp is pretty much unavoidable here in Summer. Almost all of our reef dives involve at least some time spent diving through kelp forests and lots of shore dives have prolific kelp growth too. If you are travelling this way to dive I would say in terms of visibility, marine life and healthy kelp, Scotland and the west coast of Ireland are your best bets.

Thanks...
It’s strange, but in Italy diving in the kelp sounds kind of exotic. None of the persons I dive with has tried to dive in the kelp as far as I know.
Perhaps one day we can meet up for a dive in Ireland, and of course if you like you can join us here and dive in Liguria.

Is there a specific place in Ireland you would suggest? Apart from kelp, what kind of animals would you see are there dives with the seals like in some parts of Scotland or England?

I guess kelp diving locations are not the usual choice for a diving holiday but if you want something different its well worth it. Full of life.....just need to watch the weather...and get used to the temperature!

In the UK there is often a depth range when kelp grows. It is not the 30m long stuff found off Monterey, just a metre or two.

Mostly it starts at a few metres and goes down to 7 to 15m depending on the vis and do light penetration. Sometimes, eg St Kilda, it goes deeper still.

In the right place, and I am thinking of the Farne Islands, it can be quite extensive. Lots of life hides there and it is worth a good look. In other places it can be the thing in the way of the shallow wreck and a bit of a pain.

I dive mostly in in County Clare and Galway. We have some great seal dives. Ken says it right about the kelp, its great but sometimes there's so much of it it's a pain in the arse :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom