Kelp Diving Location

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CareyinFL

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We're taking a trip to California next year and a kelp forest dive is a must. We'd also like to dive with sea lions.

I understand that the kelp near the Channel Islands is not in the best shape so we may need to do two dives - one for the kelp forest and one for the sea lions.

Recommendations on location for each and best time of year to go?

Thanks!

May want to post in the SoCal section since you mentioned the Channel Islands. I would also check on the kelp just before you come in the winter it can be blown out due to storms and in the summer the visibility can be down due to plankton blooms. Lots of good kelp dives and sea lion encounters up North and down South but it will depend on we're you will be in California it's a very long coast line so if you can narrow down were you will be I'm sure you will get some good advice.

Over the past few years giant kelp (Macrocystis) has been iffy down here due to surge from Hurricane Marie in 2014, the Blobs (warm water masses), El Niño conditions and the nasty invasive Asian seaweed Sargassum horneri. Best to ask closer to your trip to determine prevailing conditions at that time. Here on Catalina we are seeing kelp start to come back now and if summer and fall temperatures are not too warm it may be in good shape by your trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom