Keeping things safe in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ak470125

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Husband and I are going to Bonaire this Saturday and we are wondering about suggestions on keeping things safe while we are diving. We understand it is recommended to leave windows and doors unlocked and opened in our truck and that's fine and we can waterproof case our money/credit cards/keys but any suggestions about cell phones other than using a waterproof case (we had a Lifeproof case for one of our Samsung Galaxy S4 in Curacao and it didn't actually work .. there goes a $400 phone).

Any suggestions would be helpful. In Curacao you always had to go with a DM via a dive centre so lockers were always readily available.

Thanks much

Husband and I are going to Bonaire this Saturday and we are wondering about suggestions on keeping things safe while we are diving. We understand it is recommended to leave windows and doors unlocked and opened in our truck and that's fine and we can waterproof case our money/credit cards/keys but any suggestions about cell phones other than using a waterproof case (we had a Lifeproof case for one of our Samsung Galaxy S4 in Curacao and it didn't actually work .. there goes a $400 phone).

Any suggestions would be helpful. In Curacao you always had to go with a DM via a dive centre so lockers were always readily available.

Thanks much

I would be leaving the phone in the room/condo safe.

double ditto-----when we go to places like(as far away) Bonaire, I leave my cell in the car in Houston/NO airport & wife takes hers(think this is a woman thing???)---but it never basically works on the island(s)......:)

I figured as much about leaving cell phones in the room/safe but I though I would check for suggestions just in case!!! I am completely okay with leaving mine (the kids never answer my calls or texts anyways) in our room but my husband - not so much!!!

Thanks for your help, cheers :D

Just like anywhere else in the world... don't leave anything unattended in the car that you don't want stolen.

If it helps at all, unless you get a local SIM card, mobile reception is largely crap, other than sites right in town.

Plenty of bushes and rocks to hide stuff behind and under if you really want to bring items. For me that is what I did with my glasses.

I would leave the cell phone and the rest of the valuables and just dive with the car keys and a few dollars.
Carrying a cell phone around Bonaire makes it less of a holiday IMO. Cut the umbilical cord.

You probably won't get cell service on half of Bonaire anyway.

Not a problem since I don't take cellphones or any other electronics to Bonaire - except that damned GoPro and it may miss the next trip.

Car keys on a quick-link hung on a D-ring, $20's in my zip-pocket. Wet money is ok on Bon.

If going somewhere that requires a credit card, i.e, more than the $100 or so I stick in my pocket, I'll just swing by the villa and pick up the card, then put it back before going diving.

Leave the Oakley's at home, get you some $12 shades from Walgreens for the trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom