Keeping spool (with SMB attached) from unwinding underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like very much the shape of your spool because it's made in a way that makes it impossible to get fingers stuck inside the spool. Sounds strange but I can't find a similar one. May I ask where did you find it? I would like to get one

The brand is OMS. They do offer a black one, but you would have to look for one. I got mine here (Dive Right in Scuba is actually my local dive shop) PINK 75 ft Spool w/SS Double Ender

I like very much the shape of your spool because it's made in a way that makes it impossible to get fingers stuck inside the spool. Sounds strange but I can't find a similar one. May I ask where did you find it? I would like to get one
I think Halcyon spools are also like that.

Hey tie your string only long enough to loop the spool twice, a figure 8 under tension

View media item 206335

Hangin around by just the string goin nowhere

View media item 206336

Then let your imagination run wild

Not the spool

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!

Besides in a pocket, where does everyone attach their spools and SMB's? I don't really want anything dangling in front of me.

Besides in a pocket, where does everyone attach their spools and SMB's? I don't really want anything dangling in front of me.
It depends on how much other stuff I have. If possible, I put it in my drysuit pocket, if not, on my butt D-ring

I put it either on the lower left on my BP (clip it of to one hole there, or have a short loop of bungee in that hole and clip it of to.), or from the rear D-ring on my croutch strap.

In my drysuit pocket. If I'm in a rash guard and board shorts and thus don't have a pocket large enough, it gets clipped to a chest d-ring to splash, then moved to my butt d-ring as soon as I'm in the water.

Fact is, sometimes they come loose on splash. It's easier to deal with if it's in front where you can mess with it, then move it once it's positively secured. I've seen more than one diver with a "tail" when their SMB has popped out of the bungee and it's trailing behind them the entire dive. I've also seen just as many lost SMB's and spools....

It’s actually not.

I’ve heard of guys getting their fingers stuck in when they let go and it can really hurt and damage your hands. Those spools that don’t let your finger in are apparently ideal from what I’ve heard among experienced technical divers.

The Apex one I use that doesn't' happen

upload_2018-9-24_16-10-14-png.481355.png

See how huge the centre hole is? Its also narrow enough to grip it between your finger and thumb

Also with the Apex Reel as you can see the shape it's easy to grip for winding line back on

upload_2018-9-24_16-6-29-png.481353.png

This reel is fitted with 45m line - see how much extra room there is for extra? My other one (of the same size) has 5m of coloured string at the dsmb end so students can easily see the SS mark

You might think 45m is over kill.. I've launched my dsmb from only 10m and because of the current taking the dsmb near the surface, the spool has almost emptied.

I personally give no credence to this metal sinking and plastic floating scenario, keeping hold of a reel isn't' hard. The only times I've had mine unwind (and the cord is attached) is when its come unclipped before I used the bungee.

Recently however I did make a pigs ear of the dsmb deployment (we're all fallible) I was with AoW students. The reel got a jam so I let it go. With teh loss of tension the reel un jammed itself and unwound itself. I reached out my hand and the reel landed back in my palm. It looked good

Back to teh reel I can confirm its idiot proof - because I use it.....

Hmm, I have my reel tied to the smb and I run the line through the doublender and clip it to the reel which prevents it from unwinding. Isn't that enough to prevent it from unwinding? It never has with me so far.

I used to use the plastic clip that's on the smb to clip it on the right hip D-ring, but recently after a back roll entry which is what I do most of my dives, it came off. I now clip it to the D-ring with the other end of the doublender.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom