Keeping spool (with SMB attached) from unwinding underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Apex one I use that doesn't' happen

View attachment 482409

See how huge the centre hole is? Its also narrow enough to grip it between your finger and thumb

Also with the Apex Reel as you can see the shape it's easy to grip for winding line back on

View attachment 482410

This reel is fitted with 45m line - see how much extra room there is for extra? My other one (of the same size) has 5m of coloured string at the dsmb end so students can easily see the SS mark

You might think 45m is over kill.. I've launched my dsmb from only 10m and because of the current taking the dsmb near the surface, the spool has almost emptied.

I personally give no credence to this metal sinking and plastic floating scenario, keeping hold of a reel isn't' hard. The only times I've had mine unwind (and the cord is attached) is when its come unclipped before I used the bungee.

Recently however I did make a pigs ear of the dsmb deployment (we're all fallible) I was with AoW students. The reel got a jam so I let it go. With teh loss of tension the reel un jammed itself and unwound itself. I reached out my hand and the reel landed back in my palm. It looked good

Back to teh reel I can confirm its idiot proof - because I use it.....
45m is perfect. I have an Apeks one also, but I want to get a delrin one because it’s too negative and if I drop it..... mines only 15m anyway.

You can get your finger stuck in my one.

Both of mine have 50m of reel on them.
Most of my dives are descend on shot and then ascend on dsmb so get to practice on all dives. My 2x dsmb live in my left drysuit pocket or my left apeks tec shorts pocket.

Deepest i shoot from is 40.

I don't get the whole "Don't stick your finger in the spool as it unreels because you can get caught up in a passing speedboat". You're only sticking your finger inside the spool AS IT UNREELS. Once it gets to the surface- you take your finger OUT. What are the odds that a passing speedboat is going to hook the smb in that 1 or 2 seconds just as it gets to within a foot or two of the surface after you deploy it?

Answer- next to ZERO.

I don't get the whole "Don't stick your finger in the spool as it unreels because you can get caught up in a passing speedboat". You're only sticking your finger inside the spool AS IT UNREELS. Once it gets to the surface- you take your finger OUT. What are the odds that a passing speedboat is going to hook the smb in that 1 or 2 seconds just as it gets to within a foot or two of the surface after you deploy it?

Answer- next to ZERO.

I believe the real danger to sticking your finger in the SMB is not a speed boat hitting it, but rather your finger getting stuck, and the SMB dragging you up as it ascends. I would imagine this is especially 'dangerous' when shooting from very deep, with a larger SMB...

Answer- next to ZERO.
The issue is that, although your finger might not stop the reel initially, if there is a wave or something else that causes the line to move your finger can easily change from being a guide for the reel to actually being stuck inside it as the buoyant dsmb goes flying to the surface and therefore dragging you with it. Yes there are certain types of reel (such as the Apeks one) that have a sufficiently large aperture to be held safely through the hole between finger and thumb but there are a lot of reels where the hole is just big enough to get a finger tip into and any more will cause it to stick on gloves/flesh. Want a fast ride to the surface on the end of a very buoyant bag?

Better to think about having it held loosely between thumb and finger (with neither inside the reel). That way if there is a sudden jerk on the line for whatever reason the reel is free to go.

Answer- next to ZERO.
If you have your finger in the spool as the smb shoots up, your finger can get caught, twist and will either be very painful or you’ll get an injury.

It’s overthinking on a simple thing, don’t stick your finger in the hole while it shoots.

Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but I have a very related question.

I've been looking for away to pre-attach my spool and dsmb to make deployment easier and faster. There are a number of good suggestion and photos in this thread showing various methods for doing this. However, all the DSMBs shown have a D-ring attached to the bottom which makes a nice tidy attachment point and allows for the whole configuration to be stowed compactly into a little bundle.

My DSMB doesn't have a d-ring - just a big ol' loop of webbing:
GrLx7c7.jpg

fTMZHAd.jpg

With the spool attached, it makes for a messy configuration the big loop of loose webbing. Any advice on how I can store this pre-rigged DSMB/spool combo in a tidy and compact way?

I've been looking for away to pre-attach my spool and dsmb to make deployment easier and faster. There are a number of good suggestion and photos in this thread showing various methods for doing this. However, all the DSMBs shown have a D-ring attached to the bottom which makes a nice tidy attachment point and allows for the whole configuration to be stowed compactly into a little bundle.

View attachment 563174
View attachment 563175

With the spool attached, it makes for a messy configuration the big loop of loose webbing. Any advice on how I can store this pre-rigged DSMB/spool combo in a tidy and compact way?

Would you be comfortable cutting the loop and re-stitching it so that it is much shorter and therefore less loose/floppy?

View attachment 563174
View attachment 563175

You can loop the SMB webbing onto a D ring or bolt snap the same way you looped the spools line onto the webbing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom