Keeping my knife!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been using a loop cut from an inner tube, around my calf and over the handle, just above the hilt. This hinders a Quick draw but I have never lost a knife... found plenty though.

This is the truth! A good quality knife should come with a good quality sheath. Personally, I'm very happy with my UK knives and sheaths.

If you loose another knife in this manner, I would seriously consider another brand for your next purchase.

Another tip is don't remove your knife from the sheath unless you really need it! Every time you remove it and replace it, you have an honnest shot at loosing it!

A good sheath is as important as a good knife. I've seen several decent knives over the years with crappy sheathes that won't hold the knife in. When shopping for a knife always pay attention to the sheath and its locking mechanism.

OK.....
My leg knife is massive, 12+ inches. I carry it on the inside of my right calf. I use a silicon snorkle keeper that has been cut in half secured to the original knife sheath in the original way. The knife has a hole thru the butt & a lanyard secureed thru the hole. I have lost 1 knife so secured. It is now at the deep side of Columbia reef in Cozumel.
I have a smaller BC knife secured by clips in side the left pocket of my BC. I carry a specialized Myerchin for cutting rope fouled in the wheel. It is now attached in a special knife pocket of my hooded vest over my heart & secured to the suit with parachute cord.
Now..... Consider this old diver adage..... Don't dive with a knife that you would not want to lose!....Cause ya gonna!
My 2 cents!
Grady MSDT

One of the reasons I stopped diving with a knife decades ago was that they are easily lost. I haven't purchased one since 1969... although I certainly have found plenty of them in our waters over the years.

In addition to getting lost, knives had a tendency to snag on kelp even when worn on the inside of my legs. Of course a cutting tool is critical. I carry shears, dangling loose from my BCD. Strange thing is, they've never gotten caught on kelp... and I've never lost them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom