Keeping her warm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cstreu1026

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
my fiance really dislikes the cold and has a difficult time staying warm. In December we tried to dive Vortex Springs in Florida unsuccesfully because she was unable to tolerate the 68 degree water. I believe the problem was the ill fitting wetsuit. She seems to be a difficult fit. She ended up in a 2 piece suit in a 2xl in order to get to get it over her legs. This resulted in a poor fit in the torso and a nearly constant flow of water.

On with the question. I would really like her to be able to dive with me in the local quarries, but the water is chilly at best. (55 degrees at depth) I want to get her a good 7mm wetsuit that fits properly. I have been looking at the Xcel infiniti series suits and the comparable suit from Harvey's. I am guessing the Henderson hyperstretch suits are pretty similar. Does anyone have any suggestions on suits to try or other ways to keep warm with out the expense of a drysuit.

My wife is the same. The hyperstretch suits are great. But what she does is wear socks, longjohns and a tight sweatshirt under her wetsuit and she swears that she is twice a warm. It reduces the flow of water in the loose fitting places.

Why not buy her a second hand Drysuit, there are some super cheap ones around if you keep your eyes open ?

My Wife used to dive a 7mm and hated it. The amount of weight she has to cart around for that much nepoprene was silly.

So we went hunting and found a 2nd hand drysuit, she just loves it

Wouldn't you have to wear more weight with a drysuit? The drysuit is a possbility though. The instructor that certified me has a Bare suit that he has only used 6 times that he wants to sell. If it fits it would be perfect.

You could always go for a semi-dry! Or get a custom fit wetsuit. Although custom fits tend to be a little more expensive - its well worth the extra $ if it keeps you warm.

I had the same problem with wetsuits. In order for the suit to fit in certain places, I had gaps all over and water rushing in. I was cold. I went ahead and bought both custom wetsuits and Henderson Hyperstretch. After getting the Hyperstretch, I wouldn't waste my money again on a custom. The Hyperstretch is able to fit all the curves and stays tight to the body and a snap to put on.
Diana

:hi: I had trouble finding a suit that would fit my whole body as well....and after trying on every size of suit imaginable I went with a custom 7mm suit from Oceaner.....the cost was close to that of a new suit and although I was worried that it wouldn't fit when it arrived, it was perfect! :yea:There were enough measurements taken that there was plenty of backup for every cut and seam. It has really helped with my confidence diving and comfort to not have water rushing through the loose fitting parts of a rental suit, bouyancy is much easier, and it is nice to wear something that fits. :dance: If you decide against a dry suit a custom wetsuit is not as scary or as expensive as you may think.

I would go with the drysuit. I have very little natural insulation and lose heat quite rapidly in water. Nowadays, any water under 18 or 19C means I won't go wet.

If you're not getting a custom-measured suit, make sure the seals fit properly!!

Have fun and stay warm.

A drysuit would DEFINITELY be the best way to go. I can tell you from experience!

I learned to dive in Ontario. Cold quarries. Cold Great Lakes. Cold diving season. Cold... I think you get the picture. :cold:

My maxium downtime in a 1/4" wetsuit & hood was 25 minutes. And I was miserable. Then I switched to a drysuit. Nirvana! One time I was on the Wetmore in Tobermory for 1.5 hours. And came up warm as toast.

How much weight a diver needs depends on the type of drysuit, what you wear under it, and whether it is salt or fresh. For example on the aforementioned dive in Toby I was wearing a full 1/4" neoprene drysuit and a steel tank I needed 14 pounds on my waist and 3 pounds of ankle wts. Meanwhile, the last time I dove Vortex in my DUI trilam I only needed 10 pounds with my steel tank.

Go Dry!

~SubMariner~

I would like her to get a drysuit, I think she would be much more comfortable. I will just have to find a way to talk her into it. I can't swing the cost of a drysuit. Besides I already bought a new set of regs for her and I am selling my skis to buy her a new BC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom