Kayak Diving Oahu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rockjock3

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This is sport/hobby that I can't seem to find much information on (in Oahu), but also can't understand why. So many of our wrecks are within 1-2 miles of shore and ripe for the kayaking.

After our shakedown trips, tweaks and dry-runs out to a few closer sites my buddy and I went out off the Waianae coast this weekend armed with our GPS coords. We first paddled out to the Airplane wreck, hooked the buoy and did a great dive. It was amazing to be on a wreck dive at our pace, take our time, and with absolutely nobody else around. It was a whole different experience that I have not had diving yet.

After a quick paddle into shore and tank switch we proceeded southwesterly towards the LCU. After about 35 minutes of paddling we were on the buoy. We hit this one, got in the water and dropped down. This was another awesome dive (like being on the Corsair alone). We explored the whole area and didn't have to watch out for others. No silt stirred up and it was all at our pace.

I still love my shore diving and do boat dives as there are some times when I don't have the extra time it takes, and drift dives are more difficult with a kayak. All in all though I can't think of many sites that can't be reached safely by a kayak (there are a few) and can't see why there aren't more of kayak divers on Oahu (I might just not be able to find them).

For any of you that have been thinking about it. Try it. It is absolutely awesome.

I am jealous.... never been to your wonderful state. I have done a bit of kayak diving in the states and it is fun and work! I think alot of divers just don't want the physical extra kayaking involves. I had trouble finding buddies to join me. Also you will need to limit your dive proviles to those of shallower runs as you are limited to the amount of gear you can handle on board,,,,and for the concerns on a DCS hit do to the physical exertion involved in this form of diving. You are on your own in terms of another non diver left to assist in emerg. situations. Diving off shore you are in 'open water' settings that if ness. would not allow you a quick trip back to shore. I did my dives in flat water lakes,,,,so it was a bit safer,,but I always took care to be aware of my profiles and leave my trek plans with someone on shore. Over all I think it is alot of fun and a new experience!

Chris Liles over at Island Divers is putting together a "Kayak Diver" specialty course and has been doing some kayak diving.
While my regular dive buddie and I bought Kayaks to play with and also to dive with, I bought a boat and find it is a little more enjoyable(buying gas sucks) than the kayak, and also has a VHF radio in the event of........

mrjimboalaska:
Chris Liles over at Island Divers is putting together a "Kayak Diver" specialty course and has been doing some kayak diving.
While my regular dive buddie and I bought Kayaks to play with and also to dive with, I bought a boat and find it is a little more enjoyable(buying gas sucks) than the kayak, and also has a VHF radio in the event of........

Yea, I've been with you on your boat and maybe you ought to stick with the kayak. :lol:

On a more serious note. Yea, I know about Chris' course. Hopefully that will get more people into so I have a larger pool to get trips together with. Right now I only have two buddies that have kayaks.

As for the ..... I have a cell phone on the kayak which hasn't been beyond service yet in fact it hasn't even been close to beyond service. I keep it in the floating pouch that I have my GPS in and can pull it out in an emergency. I also carry my normal emergency gear (dye markers, signal mirror, 6ft SMB, whistle, and strobe).

I just picked up a new Ocean Kayak Zest II this weekend. It's made for 2 divers. They say it's really stable but after taking it out in the late afternoon wind, I'm ready to add outriggers before using it to dive. rockjock3 - could you share some pix of your rig and maybe some advice on technique? What do you use for an anchor...? Anybody else on Maui want to get together for kayak dives at the coral gardens, st anthony...?

Mark

If I was getting into that, I would talk to Gilligan on Maui.

Now, that's REAL solo diving.

Certainly involves some exercise before and after.

catherine96821:
If I was getting into that, I would talk to Gilligan on Maui.

Now, that's REAL solo diving.

Certainly involves some exercise before and after.

You don't know how right you are. We ended up paddling 6.5 miles while diving. It was wonderful, just my buddy and me on the wrecks and just talking about the dives and other stuff during the paddle. Not even having to speak up over any engine noise. It was truly an experience like I have never had before.

rockjock3:
Yea, I've been with you on your boat and maybe you ought to stick with the kayak. :lol:
I can guess who isn't getting another ride on Jimbo's boat.

howard4113:
I just picked up a new Ocean Kayak Zest II this weekend. It's made for 2 divers. They say it's really stable but after taking it out in the late afternoon wind, I'm ready to add outriggers before using it to dive. rockjock3 - could you share some pix of your rig and maybe some advice on technique? What do you use for an anchor...? Anybody else on Maui want to get together for kayak dives at the coral gardens, st anthony...?

Mark

Yea, a buddy of mine was going to get a Cobra Fish & Dive because it was supposed to be so stable. He then paddled one and it was also sooooooo slow because of that stability and the wind blew him everywhere. We looked at Ocean Kayaks and Cobras and went with a really good middle of the road (for stability and speed) Cobra Navigator XL. The wind doesn't bother us a whole lot and we can still paddle about 3-4 miles an hour with just a relaxing pace. I'll post some pics of my rig here later. Also, I use a 4-5 lb kayak/small boat anchor with 2.5 feet of 1inch galvanized chain and 200feet of 3/16" braided nylon rope for anchor/buoy line. Let me know what else you would like to know, or PM me and I can tell you more.

fishb0y:
I can guess who isn't getting another ride on Jimbo's boat.

I only said it because we all know Jimbo can take playful ribbing.

Besides, at least I wasn't the guy who put his foot through the deck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom