Kayak diving in the Keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From memory, I can think of two spots that would be easy to get to with a kayak.

The first is off Geiger Key. To get there, follow US 1 to Big Coppitt. Turn left (if going to kw, or right if coming from kw) on Boca Chica Rd. (at the Circle K). Follow Boca Chica Road to Geiger Rd (on the left). You can either launch at Geiger Key Marina (on your right), or at an abandoned lot that the end of Geiger Rd. I haven't swam there in a few years (16!). So the lot might not even be vacant any more. Enforcement was never an issue, but things change, so park there at your own risk. The marina (which is actually a small trailer park/ campground) is probablly your best bet, though I don't know what there rules are since I don't live there anymore, and mangement has changed sooo many times. From either launch, follow the channel out towards the Atlantic. From the vacant lot, you will need to follow the channel around Geiger and take a left, from the marina, you just head straight out.

There will be a large uninhabited Key between you and the Ocean (I don't remember the name). The channel will go around to the right of the key as you make your way out. Look to the right for a marker with a Rock warning. There you go. I used to kayak out to this spot and skin dive for lobster when my Mom lived in the trailer park at the marina. It is no huge reef, but it was great to me.

The next that I know of, is roughly south west of South Beach in KW. I don't have exact directions. I used to swim out to this one all the time (I lived a block away from the beach, which was great). You can see the reef from the surface. I used to spend all my time just swimming around, and ran across it one day. At least back then, there was no warning sign.

Good luck. If you don't find anything worth diving, don't discount doing some back country kayaking. I love it down there!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom