Kayak diving in the Keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

artistdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Good Morning! I'm going to be spending a couple of days in the Keys in 2 weeks. I'm going to be staying in Marathon. I was wondering if anyone knows of any kayak dives in that area? I'm just getting into it, so I don't know very many spots to go. I have 25 dives logged and about 6 of those are yak dives. I live near Clearwater Beach and most of my dives have been in Venice, for shark teeth, but definitely want to do some diving in the Keys. I'm going to take a charter out, but would like to be able to do a kayak dive or two if possible as well. Any thoughts, suggestions, or tips would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

did you find any places to yak dive in the Keys on your latest trip? I too am looking for the same information. I have studied the charts and there are a couple of patch reefs that are closer in that one could hit from a kayak. the closest is a mile from shore, the other is only a few hundred yards off shore, but access is a real issue - 3 mile paddle to get there. you are pretty worn out after paddling out there and back. will in Sarasota

Hey there! No. I didn't end up doing any yak diving when I was down in the Keys. I just ended up going out w/ a dive shop. But, I am still looking to research it more, because I'd still like to take the yak out down there for some diving if I can. If you find any good info, please share. I'll do the same. Thanks!

Well, there is a patch reef about a mile south of Marathon. There is a place to launch (park). You need to study the nautical chart of the area - it is about due south, and it shows up on the chart. I use the waterproof series. Also, Google Earth is an awesome tool for checking out structure. Yes, the main reef line is 5-6 miles offshore, so forget about a kayak for that. But there are lots of places in the bay that hold bugs - locals build illegal structures - car hoods, durock tile backing board on top of cinder blocks with holes facing out, etc, for their own private bug hole. These are all illegal, and they prosecute and but folks in the Big House if you are caught building one of these. Two guys went away on this charge (hazard to navigation) last year. Send me a private message or call me and we can talk about it. 941-321-5001 Will

I have never dove this site on Big Pine Key but bet it can be done on a yak....

Scuba Shore Diving Site Page for: Bahia Honda State Park of Florida, USA East

That page has just enough limited information to get a novice diver in trouble. The current is manageable when you are near the island but once you get far enough away from the island you will find their description of "very strong current" to be a serious understatement unless you are diving at slack tide. I wouldn't recommend taking a kayak out into the middle of the channel unless you time it with slack tide (slack high is best) and plan to be back before the current picks up again. There are alot of blind spots around the bridges and boats frequently speed close to the pilings, under and alongside the bridge, so take that into consideration too.

The dive sites in the Keys are too far off shore for most of us to want to dive them off a kayak.

To those of us that have never dived from a kayak, this begs the question "How far from shore is it practical (and fun) to kayak dive?".

Hey guys.

I frequent the keys quite often and was wondering the same thing myself so i asked around. A local told me there is a cool spot directly off of a resort called chica lodge. I believe the spot id called chica rocks. I think this spot is on tavernier or possibly the next key south. As you've probably guessed it i haven't actually been there. Anywho, I live in st. pete if any of you guys wanna go and find this place. It would be a cool adventure.

Peace,

Randall

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom