kayak/canoe accessible patch reefs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CiXeL

Registered
Reaction score
i picked up a copy of the florida keys paddling guide the other day and it meantions snorkeling sites you can get to by canoe or kayak out in the keys. does anyone know of any more patch reefs that you can access by canoe/kayak? i look forward to checking them out.

also does anyone know what would be better for scuba or snorkeling? sit inside kayak, sit on top kayak or canoe?
whats easiest to get in and out of the water on?

are there any canoe/kayak accessible patch reefs further north than the keys as well?

Hey CiXel,

I am a kayak diver in Punta Gorda. There are several patch reefs I dive up here regularly. I would definitly get a sit on top. I have a Cobra Fish/Dive Kayak & I love it. It is very stable, will carry up to 600 lbs, has a roomy real well for your tanks and loads of inside storage space for the rest of your gear. If you want to take a look at one go to cobrakayaks.com There is also a group called Kayuba, which does a lot of kayak diving on the east coast. You can check them out at www.kayuba.org If you're ever up this way & want to do a dive, just give a shout!

Yep, DEFINITELY go with a sit-on-top kayak.

Sit-inside yaks aren't truly meant to get much wter inside, thus the spray skirts they use to seal the cockpit in rough conditions.

Sit-on-tops ... I use an Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro and have had it out in 4-6 ft seas with no problems, even taken waves over the bow with no worries of taking on water. (granted, it was lobster mini-season and so yeah we were motivated to get out that morning ... got 7 on one dive)

As far as locations, I'd love to get together a list of kayak friendly dive launch locations. Places in Broward I've been to include:
- John Lloyd State Park, Dania
- Fort Lauderdale, north of Sunrise Blvd
- Pompano 12th Street
- Lighthouse by the Sea, Datura

Places I avoid ... ANYPLACE with lifeguards!
=== ESPECIALLY DEERFIELD BEACH!!! ===
They outright threatened to call the cops if I landed on their beach.
They are that protective of their swimmers.
Next time I find myself in that situation I intend to declare safe harbour and land anyway.

CiXeL:
also does anyone know what would be better for scuba or snorkeling? sit inside kayak, sit on top kayak or canoe?

I have a Cobra Navigator available at Ron Jons. I've tried many others, and the Navigator is the widest. The tank goes in the well in the back with a 45 ft hose to a reg in your mouth. No BC. You roll off the side and tow the kayak via the hose.

Dive Kayak
http://www.irishmansoftware.com/kayak.htm

Hi FlIrishman,

I took a look at your boat on your web site & your boat looks exactly like mine except that mine is just a little bit bigger. I hadn't thought about using a long hose & leaving the tank in the boat. I haven't had any trouble with mine rolling over (knock on wood) but, you're right, it is important to make sure you tether everything to the boat. Just in case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom