Kavieng and Lissenung Island Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Valwood1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking for opinions on diving in the Kavieng area, and on Lissenung Island Resort. Most of the reports on the board seem to be a little dated (or I just missed them -- not impossible).

I'm a recreational diver (180 dives, virtually all ocean, incl. Komodo) who prefers larger marine life (even bifocal dive mask lenses don't help much looking at things 1/2 inch long!), have seen lots of sharks and enjoy that but won't be devastated if I don't see lots on this trip, also like lots of marine life, nice coral, etc. Decent physical condition, decent swimmer but not Johnny Weissmueller. Don't need a lot of creature comforts on land but like something clean.

Bill

Hi, I have been to Lissenung about half a dozen times and love the place! The last time we went was in June last year to do one of the exploratory trips and had a great time. It was great to do some new sites in the area including the wrecks in three islands harbour.

IMHO the kavieng area has some of the best diving in the world with huge biodiversity in both animal life and types of diving. You can do ripping current dives surrounded by sharks and other pelagics followed by a muck dive with mimic octopuss, demon stingers, frogfish and ghost pipefish followed by a WWII aircraft wreck on the way back to the resort!

The resort is a great place to get away from everything since other than the others divers there is not much there. You are on a small island you can walk round in 15 minutes. Dietmar and Angie run it brilliantly and make you fel right at home the minute you arrive.

It is hard to beat and were it not for the 48 hours it takes to get there from where I live (Caribbean) I would go every year for a couple of weeks. Go dive Planet Channel, Albatross channel, bottleshop, Peters patch and you will have a great time.

Hi, I have been to Lissenung about half a dozen times and love the place! The last time we went was in June last year to do one of the exploratory trips and had a great time. It was great to do some new sites in the area including the wrecks in three islands harbour.

IMHO the kavieng area has some of the best diving in the world with huge biodiversity in both animal life and types of diving. You can do ripping current dives surrounded by sharks and other pelagics followed by a muck dive with mimic octopuss, demon stingers, frogfish and ghost pipefish followed by a WWII aircraft wreck on the way back to the resort!

The resort is a great place to get away from everything since other than the others divers there is not much there. You are on a small island you can walk round in 15 minutes. Dietmar and Angie run it brilliantly and make you fel right at home the minute you arrive.

It is hard to beat and were it not for the 48 hours it takes to get there from where I live (Caribbean) I would go every year for a couple of weeks. Go dive Planet Channel, Albatross channel, bottleshop, Peters patch and you will have a great time.[/QUOTE

Absolutely can not go wrong with Lissenung a great place to go and chill and be well look after both in and out of the water

If you dive in the channels such as Albatross, Planet or Steffen Strait on an incoming current you will see lots (sometimes dozens) of Grey Reef sharks and Silvertips as well as white tips, Black tips and nurse. I have also seen Bull sharks on Peters Patch and Great Hammerheads are seen every now and then as well. It is one of the few areas left where you can still see sharks since there has not been much longlining close to shore.

Back
Top Bottom