kauai with a new Junior diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tnt2020

Registered
Reaction score
I have booked a Christmas vacation in Kauai. December 21st through Jan 1st. My 12 year old daughter was just certified in August and I would like some input as to where to dive and with Whom. I have found the south side would be best this time of year and seasport divers looks good on paper but would like some confirmation or input.

Thanks

Tim

We dove with Seasport with no issues. Fathom Five also gets recommended quite often. I think I dove with them once in the mid 90's.

Is your daughter OW certified? or still depth restricted due to her age? I'm not sure what a Junior Diver is. Sheraton Caverns is a good dive she could probably do, it's a boat dive just offshore that doesn't exceed about 60' in most places. A lot of it is 20-30'. There's always huge turtles sleeping or swimming there. The site is caved-in lava tubes so it's open with small overhead restricted areas.

A good, easy shoredive is Koloa Landing, an old boat ramp you walk down into the water and fairly shallow unless you go pretty far out. Pretty common to see eels and turtles there also. O/W classes are taught there since it's usually calm. Usually crowded so get there early.

More info here: Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: Kauai, Hawaiian Islands

The north side of Kauai will be shutdown for diving due to huge waves that hit in the winter.

Back
Top Bottom