Kauai November Don't use who?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teamcasa

Sr. Moderator
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'll be in Kauai in November. What LDS should I use or avoid? Any local knowledge?

Dave

I loved diving with Bubbles Below a couple of years back. Of course, no one runs the really interesting trips this time of year.

Seasport divers is super wonderful. They just got a new cat a few months back, it zooooooooms.

It's parked now, using the big boat only. Not enough people this time of year.

I'm off to Kauai next week and I only beach dive (I solo dive and don't like the hassle I often get on boats about buddies). I know the waves are bigger this time of year, am I going to have a tough time beach diving next week?

I'm looking at going to:

Ahukini Landing
Ke'e Lagoon, and the outer reef
Tunnels Reef

Anyother recommendations?

Please read my post about the beach diving in the link. Aint worth doing. If you call Sea Sports and ask about availability and cruse ship traffic, they will put you in a more open slot.

Updating the shore diving on the island...

The north shore is no longer an option for diving (Ke'e and Tunnels). Ahukini is an interesting dive when the tradewinds aren't blowing but you have to get lucky during your visit to be able to dive there. It is a "backup" dive spot when big swells hit the north or south shores "if" there are no trades. With an instructor that knows the island dive spots well you are sure to see lots of stingrays in the bay at Ahukini. The bay however is lower vis. Getting outside of the bay is great when conditions allow. Again this is a hard dive to schedule but check with the dive shop that you choose - and if they say winds are "light and variable" you might be in for a great dive. The best winter dive is Koloa landing in Poipu. You can do numerous dives there without getting bored of this bay. Common and "really cool" critters that are spotted daily there include endemic Bandit Angels, the amazingly striking Dragon Moray Eels, hidden scorpionfish (leaf, devil and titan! = awesome), cleaner shrimp (ever have a free dental checkup by one of these?), Hawaiian green sea turtles, butterflyfish (including Saddlebacks - not endemic but very rare to see here), banded coral shrimp, whitemouth morays, AND endemic green and red Hawaiian lionfish! Ask any instructor/dm on island and they'd tell ya the same thing. It is a remarkable spot in terms of everything you can see! Max depth on the inside reef is about 30ft. If you are good on air and get outside you can reach 50max. It is a horseshoe cove that is very protected from conditions and a no boating zone which is perfect. A rivermouth does feed the bay so at times the inside is hazy with fresh water. During periods of heavy rain it is also low vis for a couple days. We are experiencing that very thing right now but per conversations with 2 divers today they had 30ft vis on the outside - a sign that it is encouraging. They did have 2 spotted eagle rays as well during the dive (both groups). Water temp is starting to drop though (bummer for those of us whimpy island instructors). About 78-79 now.

Hope this helps.
There are a couple of other spots (hidden gems) that you might be able to hit as well if you are a little adventurous and comfortable in the water.... gotta sweet talk a local though to find out...

best of island wishes

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom