Kauai in May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dman

Contributor
Reaction score
Will be going to Kauai May 21-28 and staying at the Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas. From reading some threads it appears most of the dive sites are on the other end of the island. Is this correct? Are there any dive shops near where I will be or not? If not, how long a drive is it to the other side of the island or do dive shops pick up.

Any helpful hints will be appreciated.

Northshore Divers is nearby. I don't know anything about them.

For shore diving Fathom Five owns Oceanquest - they shoredive (and are located) near Tunnels Beach in that area. Scuba Dive Kauai with Fathom Five Fathom Five itself is down in Koloa. Seasport has a location in Kapaa - that might be the next closest dive operation. Not sure if they have a boat in that area - we dove out of a marina near Poipu. Home Page | Seasport Divers There's also a couple other dive outfits in/near Kapaa - google it.

The Poipu area is about 45 miles from Princeville. That can easily be more than an hour since there will be traffic to/from the Princeville area - locals to work, resort guests to/from the airport, traffic near Lihue and the cruise port at Nawiliwili - most of which you'll be driving in since there's one main road. I've never read anyone mention getting picked up in a trip report.

Part of the reason there's not more diveops on the north shore is that it gets blown out during the winter when the big waves arrive. The south side is generally diveable all year.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. We'd like to dive at least 2 days but may be limited to the north side. I'll check into Northshore Divers.

I was there in Oct-Nov and so all of the diving was on the south end of the Island. If I remember correctly there are some shore dives on the north end at certain times of the year but I believe all of the dive boats go out from the south end. I know that Seasport does have a shop in Kapaa, as mentioned by another poster, but their boats go out from the south end.

The good news I can give you is that when I went on the morning dive boats I had to be there early enough that there was not a lot of traffic on the way down and I made it there from Princeville in about a half an hour.

Thanks for the information. I don't know if I'll have a car since we will be going with another couple so I might be stuck with what I can find on the north end.

Back
Top Bottom