Kauai in June

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nw_diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just booked some dives with Fathom 5 between June 22 to July 3. So far we are going to do:

• 2 Tank Boat Dive
  • 2 Tank Dive at Tunnels
  • 3 Tank Niihau Boat Dive
  • 2 Tank Twilight Dive

Anyone taken their trip to Niihau yet on their "new" boat?

I didn't dive with them when I was in Kauai, but Ni'ihau was my favorite dive of the trip. Enjoy it! :D

Was the trip back as rough as they say?

The morning ride out was extremly calm and relaxing. We did a 3 tank dive, but after the second dive the wind started to pick up a bit. We had alot more current during the third dive and by the time we surfaced the waves were starting to pick up. The ride back wasn't so bad at first IMHO, but there were a few people already sea sick. Kauai had a pretty large south swell which cause it to get rougher the closer we go to Kauai. I have never goten sea sick but I did on this part of the trip (almost made it back without getting sick...we were less than 10 minutes away from the dock..grr) If you are prone to sea sickness based upon by experience I recommend you take what you need to. I was also there in June, just check the forcast for winds. We were actually blown out our next day of diving because of the south shore high surf. However, we still got to dive that day because they offered a shore dive at Tunnels instead. Rough seas in the south...calm in the north..
Enjoy your trip!

I just booked my travel, hotel and dives for the first week of June. I'll be diving Koloa Landing, southside boats dives, Ni'ihau, Tunnels and twilight dives with Fathom Five and a short Na Pali dive with the Blue Dolphin snorkeling folks.

Should be fun.

Thanks for the info. I can hardly wait.

What did you think of tunnels? Was it worth it for a paid shore dive?

We did a 2 tank dive. The first dive was the inner reef and the second was the outer. We had alot of fun going through all the swim throughs and lava tubes. Both dives were pretty similar. We dove with a guide from the dive shop who grew up diving this site so I felt like we were able to fully explore the site. I do not think we would have been able to navigate or see as much without the guide. Especially since some tunnels were narrow and it could easily get confusing going through. It was nice to have someone who knew the site very well. If you are unsure if you want to dive it, try it as a 1 tank dive just to experience it. If you are going there on your own and not riding with a dive shop be aware that there is limited parking and the turn off is easy to miss.

Aloha Sandy & I just arrived in Kauai and the beauty of the drive to Princeville is breath taking. Stopped at a great smoked BBQ joint on the way in that had an direct view of the ocean. The wind and surf were ripping! Even if the wind stopped - everything is so churned up that I bet it would take days to settle down - at least on the north end. Our resort's Concierge indicated that shore diving is possible at Tunnels Beach in calmer season. Oh well guess we'll check out Poipu as suggested. I did get informative responses from both Bubbles Below Scuba Charters and North Shore Divers indicated they would include a dive scooter for two tank dives at a reasonable price. So we're settled in and have a view of some golf course. - Life is Grand !! Come join us! We're off to Scuba Club next month and BVI's in May. Mahalo Paul aka finless

That's a GREAT BBQ joint. Love it there!

Have some great dives!

Dove with bubble below this last summer.

Extremely pleased. Extremely.

Dove a lot more than we had planned because we were so pleased.
Niihau was great diving. The ride over was so pleasant, I thought the stories of the crossing were greatly exagerated. The ride back was very rough.

Also dove on the Napali coast. The dive trip was about the same cost as a tourist charter but included diving. Lots of cool stuff, rocket/missle parts etc over there.

I would definately do Niihau, even though it costs a little more. The local diving is pretty good too, but pretty much average Hawaii diving.

We did not dive tunnels. Were told not to waste our time/ money. By several locals and by three dive shops.

Jeff

Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom