Kauai Diving In March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dermochelys

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello all! or should I say Aloha!

In March a group of 15 biology graduate students including myself will be traveling to Kauai to conduct some ecosystem research. If I'm lucky we will be able to have 1 or 2 days off from stomping around the island to do our own thing. Out of the 15 of us there are 5 divers and I was wondering if anyone could recommend places to dive, places to rent equipment, or dive shops to work with. We will be staying at a hostel in Kapaa.

Things to know about the group.

Most of us have gone on multiple dives...but it's been awhile for most, so nothing too hard.

We will have to rent equipment since we are already overloaded on the flight over with equipment for our study.

We are students so we are trying to costs down...so cheap is good!

As for me I'm a newbie to diving and I've only dived Cabo San Lucas and Puerto Vallarta (Jan. 2006) with my certification dive in Monterey, CA. Cabo was great, PV was bad, so I'm hoping Kauai will be great as well!

Anyway, if you can recommend a good dive shop to work with or a good place to dive that would be great. Thanks for any help you can give.

I had a great time with Sea Sport Divers in Poipu Beach.

http://www.seasportdivers.com/

There is a good shore diving location near there as well - Koloa Landing.

Dave

PS Have a great time!

One more thing, I'll be arriving before the rest of my class so I'm hoping to dive during that time. I won't have a car, so are there any good operators in Kapaa? It looks like most of the shops are on the south side. Thanks again for the info.

Check out Sea Sport in Kapaa. Right on Kuhio Hwy.

http://www.kauaidivers.com/

I think there was another dive shop around foodland, but it might have been a surfboard rental or something like that.

I think the best shore diving would be south shore.

Dermochelys:
One more thing, I'll be arriving before the rest of my class so I'm hoping to dive during that time. I won't have a car, so are there any good operators in Kapaa? It looks like most of the shops are on the south side. Thanks again for the info.

Hi,

Here is an outfit that might fit your needs:

http://www.sunrisescuba.com/

And, if things go as usual, get ready to see lots of turtles...it is one of the special things about diving Kauai. :D

joewr

Thanks for the links everyone! Also, does anyone know anything about Sacred Seas? I've seen there name tossed around here on the board, but from only one person. Finally is the shore diving good enough, or should I not be cheap and take a taxi to the south shore and get onto a boat dive? Thanks.

Dermochelys:
Thanks for the links everyone! Also, does anyone know anything about Sacred Seas? I've seen there name tossed around here on the board, but from only one person. Finally is the shore diving good enough, or should I not be cheap and take a taxi to the south shore and get onto a boat dive? Thanks.

Hi,

If you are going to have the option of diving off Poipu, I strongly recommend this dive outfit:

http://www.bubblesbelowkauai.com/

Linda and her gang are super! They will provide you a much better dive than any shore dive unless you have some local help. I do not know how much gear they have to rent, though. If you ask them, they can probably get everything you need.

I think they are one of the best, if not the best, dive outfit on island.

I hope this helps....

joewr

Thanks for the links. From what I've been reading it looks like there are no "DON"T DIVE" with operators. Seems like each place has people who like it and people who don't.

One more thing to ask about...is Anahola Beach a good dive spot and could newbies handle it? I've checked www.shorediving.com but there is only one review of the spot so more info would be great. Once again thanks to everyone for lending a helping hand.

Hi,

It is a decent shore dive. The entry is easy. The only problem, I am told but did not experience, is that sometimes there is surge and current. However, that has been true of nearly every shore dive I have done in Hawaii...at one time or another...

Since you are so new to the sport, I would lean toward suggesting you get some more dives under your wt. belt before doing shore dives...unless you have an experienced hand along...

joewr

Hello, I recommend Fathom Five Divers in Old Koloa Town, and ask for Kevin. He is a great instructor and guide. I think the time of year you are going, only leaves the south shore open for diving as the north may be ruff. Between the Sheraton resort and the road to Spouting Horn is Koloa Landing which is great for shore diving, has a really nice reef, and is calm, 50-60' deep, and viz around 60-80'. It is also an OK spot for snorkeling. If conditions are favorable on the north, your best bet is Tunnels Beach, it is almost to the end of the road, but before you get to the park, and trail head for the Kalalau Trail; look for the large cave on the left and small parking lot on the right with a Lifeguard stand. Tunnels is about 600-700 yards to the right of the stand. There is not much in Kapaa for the tourist, but I highly recommend eating at the Lemon Grass Restaurant. Enjoy your trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom