Kauai advice sought

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Go in the summer and do Ni'ihau. It's amazing. The monk seals were playing with the divers, we saw an eagle ray, and the sites are just awesome.

If you're interested in shore diving at all I recommed Koloa Landing as it has very easy entry and the site is quite simple, but there is a lot to see. It is located very close to Fathom Five and one of the Seasport Ops.

I hear that Bubble's Below is the best op to take out to Ni'ihau. I hear they run less of a cattle boat operation than Seasport. When we dove out there we were on one of those all day Napali Coast/Ni'ihau charters that had snorkeling, but you could dive for like $25 more if you were certified. We went with Blue Dolphin Charters.

Aloha! I am a DM for Bubbles Below and we have been having incredible diving at Niihau! Great interactions with Monk Seals- just to note, an article in the Honolulu Advertiser predicted that the Monk Seals numbers will decrease by half (1200 to 600-500) in 5 years and all together extinct in 10 years. Incredibly sad. I have been leading charters for 4 years at Niihau. I cannot imagine Niihau with out the monk seals it would be like loosing the preacher at my sanctuary.

We take charters of 8 on one boat and 6 on our other boat. The season could be winding down. We are a flexible company and if there's and epic day and some divers wanting epic dives, we are game!

Save the ilio holo i ka uaua! (Dog that runs in rough water)

Ob1Stogie:
I'll be there in late November, and any good beach dives you can recommend would be great!

I spent time there a couple years ago, mostly DMing beach dives. If the weather is still holding in the North - Then "Tunnels" is a spectacular beach dive - - That's a bit late though.
- BUT - In the South, you can go to Koloa Landing for a beach dive - you'll find that an easy entry and excellent life right there. I still remember the Monk Seal that hung with us for at least 15 minutes - presumably as we were starange and interesting!

Came on island Friday and am getting wet Kauaiian style.
Koloa landing on the south side is the best bet as fall kicks on the north shore, Ahukini is another good shore site just north of the airport on the east side, its protected a bit but again relies on a cooperative swell. I was at Tunnels today free diving and snorkling the reef edge (you don't need to scuba tunnels to enjoy it although you will get serious time down because its shallow) Swell is from the south now so the water is fair for the North shore this time of year- 25' vis. All bets are off come Oct Nov.

I'd highly suggest a boat dive, I'm up for 4 trips out this week with Bubbles Below, I've found them to be the best, most knowledable and most friendly dive crew on island bar none. Well worth the fee and the diving is a hundred levels higher than what you will get from off the shore. I'm Niihau bound in the am and the vis has been approaching 200' - its the best diving in Hawaii bar none. Even ifyou can't get there many south shore joys await.

Enjoy you time on island
Kauai Rocks!
TullyM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom