Katrina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wildcard:
Again, nothing classified here. I checked. Even the mix is not but every web site you go to has it wrong. I assume that is for a reason.

The times have changed, Dept of Agriculture used to put out a pamphlet on making farm ponds that gave instructions for the use of it. It even had a chart showing the depth of the 55 gallon drum and the shape/size of pond.

QUETZAL:
Have you ever tried it?
Most of what I do at this time uses bianary explosives like helix and kenipac or shape charges but yes
I have played with ANFO. It's great for busting stumps and moving earth as it's a very slow explosive.

I have 7 acres here in SC and am planning on building a pond in an area thats not accesable to my bobcat plus lots of stumps and have considered ANFO.
94.3% AN and 5.7% FO by weight?

That will work.
Now back to Katrina!
I was thinking, If I lived there and had lost my home and wanted to rebuild, I thnk Id build an Ark! Ir at least a house on a barge or if nothing else a house on tall stilts with parking or whatever under it. I like the ark idea the best, of course Im a boat guy anyway. Id also build out of cinder block or brick so when Ma nature huffs and puffs, it won't blow down. OK, I wouldn't build a boat out of brick but you know what I mean.

Wildcard:
That will work.
Now back to Katrina!
I was thinking, If I lived there and had lost my home and wanted to rebuild, I thnk Id build an Ark! Ir at least a house on a barge or if nothing else a house on tall stilts with parking or whatever under it. I like the ark idea the best, of course Im a boat guy anyway. Id also build out of cinder block or brick so when Ma nature huffs and puffs, it won't blow down. OK, I wouldn't build a boat out of brick but you know what I mean.
Try this:
http://www.deltechomes.com/

click:
DELTEC DIFFERENCE

then click:
Hurricane, High Wind Resistance

Some good, related news. Most of the NO zoo's animals did okay. Also good to hear that the death toll in going to be in the hundreds and not thousands. Hundreds is still a lot, but could have been worse - no better than the city was prepared, no better than some housing was built, and with the many who ignored the evacuation orders.

A Houston friend told me about her son working at a pricey restaurant there and seeing evacuees come in with their Fema debit cards to eat where they would never spend their own money. Perhaps it's good to splurge a bit after all they have been thru, but will they be on the streets with protest signs when that money is gone?

It does seem that other problems were made worse by thousands who lived on the edge of productive society, did not allow for needed escape, and some now trying to exhaust the help they've been given in anticipation of more to be provide.

When I was in North Houston a week ago, I saw a beggar with a sign saying "Only need $1 for a Taco." I saw him collect $2 before out car got to his stop sign, but he hadn't moved. Anyone seen in "Katrina victim" signs out with the street beggars yet? When we do, I bet a lot of them won't be evacuees at all, just opportunists.

DandyDon:
A Houston friend told me about her son working at a pricey restaurant there and seeing evacuees come in with their Fema debit cards to eat where they would never spend their own money. Perhaps it's good to splurge a bit after all they have been thru, but will they be on the streets with protest signs when that money is gone?QUOTE]

How does your friend know how "they" normally spend their money? :06:

BIGSAGE136:
DandyDon:
A Houston friend told me about her son working at a pricey restaurant there and seeing evacuees come in with their Fema debit cards to eat where they would never spend their own money. Perhaps it's good to splurge a bit after all they have been thru, but will they be on the streets with protest signs when that money is gone?

How does your friend know how "they" normally spend their money? :06:
Good point. Perhaps they looked other than the usual cliental as they were in donated clothes and had survived a very bad time.

Thanks for the pointer...

DandyDon:
Some good, related news. Most of the NO zoo's animals did okay. Also good to hear that the death toll in going to be in the hundreds and not thousands. Hundreds is still a lot, but could have been worse - no better than the city was prepared, no better than some housing was built, and with the many who ignored the evacuation orders.

It does seem that other problems were made worse by thousands who lived on the edge of productive society, did not allow for needed escape, and some now trying to exhaust the help they've been given in anticipation of more to be provide.

When I was in North Houston a week ago, I saw a beggar with a sign saying "Only need $1 for a Taco." I saw him collect $2 before out car got to his stop sign, but he hadn't moved. Anyone seen in "Katrina victim" signs out with the street beggars yet? When we do, I bet a lot of them won't be evacuees at all, just opportunists.
Funny, I was just watching the "Grapes of Wrath" last night. The young Henry Fonda stars in it.

Interesting how so many focus on the morality of the little people when the large corps will be stealing blind from us in the comming bonanza in Katrina's wake.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom