Karik K1000B handheld light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have also been trying to get a hold of them since I am a dealer for them. This was about one of the KB5000's for someone. Emails and calls went unanswered. Got a FB message from Rick that they had been traveling, the big lights are 6 - 8 weeks behind due to a quality issue and he was supposed to call me Monday night. Never got a call.

I have to say that I am disappointed. Traveling these days is no excuse to not check email and phone messages.

I'm more concerned about the phone being "No Longer In Service". Companies don't "forget" to pay the phone bill.

Either way, ignoring dealers, being on the road and not following through is a major concern. I figure I'm out the money for the two batteries, I'm just glad I didn't order a light.

Those Ultrafire 4000 batteries are pure junk and only put out around 2000mAh at limited current anyway.

Battery test-review 18650 summary

Plenty of better battery options out there.

Which batteries do you recommend? It is so hard to find good ones. I only ordered these from Karik because I trusted their product. I guess $35 is a cheap lesson to learn in the realm of things.

Last edited:
I do see that DGX does not have the Karik light any longer, but does have a "Hog Morph1000 Handheld light" now. Has anyone tried it?[h=3][/h]

I've noticed over the years when DGX stop selling something there is usually a pretty good reason and I take it as a warning.
While perusing the DGX clearance page, the Karik 1000B is listed at $99. Looks like they are getting rid of their remaining inventory, but comes with full warranty and DGX no hassle return policy. I was thinking about one of these lights when I first heard about them, but think I'll pass now

While perusing the DGX clearance page, the Karik 1000B is listed at $99. Looks like they are getting rid of their remaining inventory, but comes with full warranty and DGX no hassle return policy. I was thinking about one of these lights when I first heard about them, but think I'll pass now

I think that might be a wise move.

I do see that DGX does not have the Karik light any longer, but does have a "Hog Morph1000 Handheld light" now. Has anyone tried it?

I've sold a few of them. The Morph is a little more expensive but has six different settings. 100%, 50%, and 20% power plus flash, stobe, and SOS. Burn times are variable depending on power setting.
And you can switch heads on it from a back up type with narrow beam to a no hot spot flood for use with video or photos. I have had photogs buy them with the flood head and use with go pro's or they hand them to others to provide light where needed.

Reactions: Zog
We get those comments all the time moody s, until they dive the lights. They are 1000 lumens. Not only are they 1000 lumens but they have the deepest rating of any handheld out there, they have a unique activation magnetic bezel ring so it will never flood from twisting the head to activate/deactivate the light, they are solid milled aluminum to withstand the rigors of the cave and wreck environments, they are doubled sealed on both ends, and they follow a standard business plan that makes them affordable for all level of divers.

If you care to try one out moody s, I will be very happy to send you one after purchase (you can even buy them from our website if you would like, or divegearexpress), and if it isn't brighter than any handheld you have ever used (which isn't a concern at all being as they are brighter than my 10W HID) I will gladly refund your purchase.

---------- Post added July 25th, 2013 at 07:43 AM ----------

You can also check out www.facebook.com/divekarik Karik customers post reviews there all the time.

This is total BS. Kary McNeal told me the same thing about the Freedom. Brightest ever. try it and if you dont like it get a refund. Ya right! Got it. It was garbage. I tried to contact them to return it. And she straight up ignored my emails for a month. I have given up. Will never buy another Karik product. And now own a $500 POS. The light over promises, under delivers, and is rushed to market. The cut out sections of the light are very sharp as it the front. The batteries are total garbage! The good man handle doesnt fit unless you set it behind the center line making this already heavy light very unbalanced on the hand. This is a Chinese re-branded joke. Dont trust these lights. BTW. I own a salvo 50w and a LM 21w. They both bklow this light away. 3500 lumens? Total BS! I warn anyone considering these lights to stick with a reputable manufacturer. Im a rebreather diver. I just bought a Genesis 1500 dpv. it cost more than my truck. I dive a high end canon SLR. I have a shed full of gear. Im not new to this. And I have nothing to gain other then saving the next guy form the disappointment of dealing with Karik!

---------- Post added September 19th, 2013 at 08:12 AM ----------

I'm guessing quality issues...

I bought a K1000 and K1200 for a trip and took them apart to make sure they would survive. Here's what I found.

The dealer had already changed out the tail cap o-rings because of problems with the o-rings being too soft, too small and leaking. He also changed out the batteries because the stock cells were proving to be unreliable.

So I took off the head and found:

1) There were two o-rings installed, even though there was only one o-ring groove. The second o-ring was in the thread relief area, which was not big enough to fit it, and it was severely cut from having the head torque on anyways. Additionally, these orings were also too small (overstretched) and extremely soft (like 30 durometer) One of the light heads had a sharp burr on the corner that passes over the o-rings before seating and the second light, someone had removed the burr and the anodizing with it, so it is sure to corrode now.

2) The spring for the detent ball under the on/off ring was highly magnetic and was corroded on one of the lights, straight out of the box. It's not a corrosion resistant material and won't last long in saltwater.

3) The magnet on the inside of the ring was simply a nickel plated neodymium magnet glued in a groove. My experience with nickel plated neodymium magnets in sea water is that the plating eventually fails and the magnet turns into a ball of rust shortly thereafter.

4) The LED was not secured to the heat sink and the thermal path between the heatsink and the housing had no thermal grease. There was a small spot of thermal grease under the LED PCB, but since it was not making solid contact with the heat sink, it was not doing much good. The LED itself was a Cree XM-L which could put out 1000 lumens if properly heat sinked, but the lack of cooling in this light will make it fall short and die sooner. There's no way the two cell light will hit 1200 lumen and was actually a little dimmer out of the box, indicating the actual LED emitters are not binned very close.

5) One of the chargers did not work out of the box and after opening the charger, I found one of the wires going to the plug prongs from the inside was not actually soldered to the prong, but just melted into the plastic next to the prong.

So I killed one LED chip trying to adjust the hall switch with the light on and shorted it out and took the second light on the trip after putting it back together. It flooded within 2 minutes of hitting the water and I quickly took it apart and managed to save most of it. I later found that a small amount of seawater got between the LED chip and PCB after the LED popped off the board revealing the cold solder joints.

I repaired both lights by replacing the LED PCBs with Cree XM-L2 units that were thicker and actually allowed the reflector to compress them onto the heatsink for better thermal contact. Probably what the original design was supposed to do, but the stock LED PCBs were too thin. To get around the corroding spring issue, I took a piece of that soft o-ring and stuffed it under the detent ball to act like an elastomer spring and it works pretty good.

These lights now reside in the shop and truck as dry use only flashlights. I was really hoping these lights would workout, as I hate the backup lights that you have to twist the head on and off, since o-rings were not meant to do that repeatedly. I guess I'll just have to design my own light now, since my hypercritical personality can't seem to find a dive light it likes. I was really hoping to avoid that...

Jon. Please do! I bought the Freedom and it was a big $500 waste. I was hoping to get a long bright burning light without the can. Should have known. Too good to be true. Burns for 2 hours maybe. Definitely not 3500 lumens. And poorly crafted at that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom