Kama Sutra virus set to delete files tomorrow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

devolution365

Contributor
Reaction score
It's been awhile since we've seen a virus that did damage to data, but one was released on Jan 16th that's set to delete Office files (Word, Excel, etc) and PDF's tomorrow. -Yep. That means you could have been infected weeks ago, but the damage will happen tonight/tomorrow. Like a time bomb. Nice, huh?

Anyway, here's the details: http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blackmal.e@mm.html

My advice would be to update your virus definitions and run a full system scan tonight. If it finds anything, fix it! Windows updates won't help with this one, but are a good idea anyway since they'll protect you from other viruses and worms. I always recommend people turn on Automatic Updates on their virus software and in Windows (Start > (Settings) > Control Panel > Automatic Updates). Oh, and backing up any important files is always a good idea, but may be especially important tonight!

As is often the case, Mac and Linux users are safe from this one...

devolution365:
It's been awhile since we've seen a virus that did damage to data, but one was released on Jan 16th that's set to delete Office files (Word, Excel, etc) and PDF's tomorrow. -Yep. That means you could have been infected weeks ago, but the damage will happen tonight/tomorrow. Like a time bomb. Nice, huh?

Anyway, here's the details: http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.hllw.oror@mm.html

Of special interest might be the subject lines and attachment names of the emails that contain the virus -and a fake error message that pops up when it installs.

My advice would be to update your virus definitions and run a full system scan tonight. If it finds anything, fix it! Windows updates won't help with this one, but are a good idea anyway since they'll protect you from other viruses and worms. I always recommend people turn on Automatic Updates on their virus software and in Windows (Start > (Settings) > Control Panel > Automatic Updates). Oh, and backing up any important files is always a good idea, but may be especially important tonight!

As is often the case, Mac and Linux users are safe from this one...

So, I guess Windoze users will be deeply ****ed :D

According to the link you posted that virus hasn't been around since 2003. I would think that the antivirus software has been updated since then.

***sorry, I see someone already said this, thanks for the new link.

I assume users of Word Perfect and spreadsheet software other than Excel are safe as well.

Well, your Word Perfect documents will be safe, but it also damages any anti-virus and/or firewall software you have installed. Plus, it'll still use your computer to replicate itself to others. So, I suggest you still take precautions and do the antivirus update/scan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom