Kakaako Shore dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

and theres always a mean rip that sweeps across that channel from east to west which will carry you into some shallow reef on the west side of the channel.and it never seems to be a problem from the pool.

What's your definition of rip again?

if you cant figure that out you shouldnt be diving.(a rip)

Last edited:
im going to let someone else tell you that way if something goes wrong Kirsten will not be choking the life out of me. when i talk about having done it its not because it was a smart thing to do....i talk about it cause i can, because i did it...that dont make it a smart thing to have done. and i should not encourage others to do so. so if you do it...your on your own sorry i mentioned. was wrong of me to do so.

and theres always a mean rip that sweeps across that channel from east to west which will carry you into some shallow reef on the west side of the channel.

NOAA:
Rip Current - Currents flowing away from the coast are called rip currents.

How Rip Currents Form

Rip Current Media Event

Not sayin' there isn't current, just that it doesn't seem to be a rip as I learned it.

NOAA:
Basic Rip Current Mechanics

*Waves break on the sand bars before they break in the channel area.
*Wave breaking causes an increase in water level over the bars relative to the channel level.
*A pressure gradient is created due to the higher water level over the bars.
*This pressure gradient drives a current alongshore (the feeder current).
*The longshore currents converge and turn seaward, flowing through the low area or channel between the sand bars.

Last edited:
well then to satisfy your own curiousity you need only go out to where the surfers jump in at the mouth on kewalo side.and start swimming straight out try to stay on the kewalo side of the bouys.when you get out to bouy number four you will notice its not so bad the whole idea is to stay out of the channel but because there is a current that is strongest at the mouth of the channel it makes it very hard to stay out of the channel.and you really dont want to be crossing the channel from the park side to kewalo side.i call it a rip because thats exactly what it feels like a strong riptide. and it was a struggle to stay out of the channel until i got out to bouy number four.

i call it a rip because thats exactly what it feels like a strong riptide.

Dude, I'm just trying to help everyone, including you. What is wrong with using words properly? If you had taken a look at the NOAA web pages I provided links for you could have educated yourself and not continued to shove on that wedged shoe.

NOAA:
In some regions rip currents are referred to by other, incorrect terms such as rip tides and undertow. We encourage exclusive use of the correct term – rip currents. Use of other terms may confuse people and negatively impact public education efforts.

The above statement is it's own bolded paragraph on the first linked NOAA rip current page, kind of like how the PADI Standards are bolded in the PADI Instructor Manual. If you look back at my initial question, you had the chance to look up rip current definitions and correct your original statement calling the current that sweeps you across a channel a rip when in fact a rip current sweeps you out a channel. If I am completely wrong and you are using the word rip and the term rip tide correctly I would be oh so glad to learn from you.

How Rip Currents Form

Rip Current Media Event

halemano:
Many SB members seem to think recreational scuba instructors are as important as NASA instructors

Ain't that the truth! I wonder when they're going to come to their senses... :)

i call it a rip because the current rips across the channel if you doubt what i say then go out there and get in the water and see. you guys run your mouth about what you read and and what you heard i talk about what i know. live it dont read it.

i call it a rip because the current rips across the channel if you doubt what i say then go out there and get in the water and see. you guys run your mouth about what you read and and what you heard i talk about what i know. live it dont read it.
Marco... Steve (halemano) has probably "lived" more current in a week than you do in a year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom