Kadava, Fiji

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pisces

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm planning on doing the Fiji Aggressor, then going to Tavenui (GIR) in May/June. I am considering spending some time diving in Kadavu. I'm traveling alone and am a bit worried about getting bored if there isn't enough great diving from the land-based ops....

After reading all the previous posts, it seems like in general people weren't wow'd by diving in Kadavu, especially compared to other parts. Should I just skip it and save money for my next trip elsewhere?

The places in Kadavu that seem reasonably priced and interesting are

1) Jona's
2) Matava
3) Waisalima Beach Resort
4) Albert's

I'm thinking of maybe picking 2 of them to stay at.

Assuming that they are all clean, friendly, safe etc., do any of them offer better diving than the others? Any of them more comfortable or prettier? And standouts?

Any not clean?! Mosquito ridden? Bland food? Boring?

Thanks for any comments or suggestions!

Hello

I stayed in Kadavu at Matava for four days last December. I was quite happy with the place and the dives. Any of the places you choose will be very basic and fairly quiet. Matava had good food, comfortable bures(huts) and adequate facilities. Most of the place is run on solar power so the lights are dim at night.
The dives were quite nice - people go to Matava for the Manta Ray dives and you can also see sharks and other big fish. They also hire out kayaks and can organise surfing trips so enquire in advance if you are interested in these options.
It may be quite difficult getting from one resort to another as most transport on the island is on little motorboats and there may not be one around when you want one.

Enjoy

Hi Louie,

Thanks for your reply! A few more questions if you wouldn't mind.... I just keep going back and forth on this....

So far, I'm doing the Aggressor then going to Garden Island Resort in Taveuni for 4-5 days. Because of plane scheduling, I could either leave after GIR or stay another 7 days, which I think is a long time to be traveling by myself.... Or just to be traveling, period. I don't do well just sitting on a beach.... gotta have good diving or something.... Maybe instead just save start saving up for Palau or Galapogos or something....

The questions that I keep going around and around with are:

After diving the Aggressor and then Taveuni, would diving in Kadava not be quite up to par?

A Fijian travel agent suggested Oarsman in Yasawa. Have you been there or heard anything about? How does diving in Yasawa compare with Kadava?

Did you hear anything about any of ther other ops on Kadava?

(Decisions.... Decisions... I wish all my "agonizing" decisions had such lovely ramifications....)

Hi Pisces

The livaboard sounds fantastic and it may spoil you. I haven't been to Taveuni but have heard many great stories about the soft coral there.
Those I've spoken to - including one of the guides at Matava - said that the islands and dives are varied and different all over Fiji so maybe it's best not to compare.
If you are looking for lots of activities however, you may find things are limited in Kadavu - especially if it rains. My typical routine was: up in the morning; breakfast; a two-tank dive which lasted til about lunch; lunch; rest or take a quick stroll; rest; dinner; chat and bedtime. The difficulty is getting anywhere within the island (which has very few amenities).
A compatriot of mine stayed at Alberts Place and he said it was lively and the food was good.
I haven't done Yasawa. I have dived the areas close to Nadi and it was a complete waste of time and money (I wrote about it under the thread "Diving in Fiji") and Nadi itself was my least favourite town of a South Pacific trip. Give it a big miss.

So hopefully, you're not too stressed about decisions.

Happy diving

Louie

Pisces,

What week are you going on the Aggressor? I have a friend who is also going and would like to do Tavenui as a post trip as well.

Sandy

LOL! Now that I re-read your post, I should've known it was you. :D

Have you booked your air yet? Though I haven't done a live-aboard yet, I've done a cruise immediately followed by a land package. What a mistake - I could not get used to being off the ship and away from the pampering. If at all possible, you may want to do GIR first and then hop on the Aggressor.

Welcome to the boards! Hope you stick around some if you have time. And I'll expect a trip report!

Sandy

Hi Louie,

Yes, I was thinking about the order of things as you & Sandy mentioned.... To be pampered on a liveaboard and then "rough it" for the next two weeks (I was planning to do the "dorm" rooms).... If I go to Kadavu, I was leaning towards Waisalima Beach Resort because they say that they do afternoon dives. I guess there is also snorkeling and kyaking.

Hey Sandy,

That was so funny! I thought that it was very thoughtful & sweet when you sent me an email letting me know that you had found me a traveling buddy....

But as it turns out, the whole thing might be a bit mute.... I'm rather frustrated right now. After spending an ENTIRE week researching, planning, pricing etc. this trip, the Aggressor decided to cancel the week I was planning to be on the boat.... Trying to figure out alternatives.... UGH! I was SO looking forward to all this....

Back
Top Bottom