K14 1 st stage over heating

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

roastbeef

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I came across this 1973 K14E cheap so I purchased it as a back up compressor. I replaced all the valves in all the cylinders heads including the final stage floating piston and added an upgraded head for better cooling, I now notice that the first stage head gets so hot you could cook eggs on it so I double checked the valves they are fine. I'm kind of thinking that maybe the piston rings are warn out and need to be replaced. Any thoughts, suggestion, ideas, hypothesis appreciated.
[h=2][/h]Roast beef

Disconnect the outlet line and see if it has flow and if the head still overheats. Pressure causes heat, so unless you saw major wear in the cylinder wall I would start with pressure. Can you tell that the valves are opening properly? Is the compressor making pressure at the final stage? Can it make max pressure?

One thing you may want to check on is that the 2nd and 3rd stage valves didn't get installed in the wrong cylinder head. The hole in the valve seat is larger in the 2nd stage then the one on the 3rd stage.
Also ensure that the unit is not pushed up against a wall preventing a good circulation of air on the inlet side of the fan.
In saying that the outlet side of the first stage piston can exceed 200*F. but if you find the entire cylinder head getting that hot then you do have a problem that needs to be addressed.
ZDD

Thanks for the ideas guys. Yes! the number 4 final stage is getting up to pressure easly 3200 Psi. The valves in the 1st stage are new. I will disconect and see if pressure is coming out of the exhaust side on the fist stage.

many thanks

I have heard that an inlet restriction can cause a compressor to overheat. Is your inlet filter ok (maybe run it without the filter and recheck)? Could it be a problem with your inlet valve on the first stage?

Was the third stage the piston was toast Lawrence factor fixed me up with a new one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom