K-Valve on Steel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

metridium once bubbled...

I wouldn't use a convertible valve because that lessens the likelihood of some yahoo picking up one of my tanks by mistake and possibly taking it past its MOD, stickers notwithstanding. 300 bar regs still aren't that common among the general populace.

Ok, first of all, you should have your name on your cylinders, and the mod of the gas, along with Nitrox stickers. Secondly, 300 bar regs are very common. Where are you diving???

Rick Murchison once bubbled...

Can you cite the authority for that? I haven't ever seen that in writing from a reputable source.
Would appreciate it.
Thanks,
Rick

Yeah, just talked to Tom Ivey today. I guess the confusion over the "200 bar" Din valve comes from Europe. According to Tom at PST, the thermo DIN/K valve is good for up to 230 bar (3442 psi). No matter which you use, the yoke or the din.

The "200 bar" style of DIN valve is safe and is strong enough to use with these cylinders.

that the 300 bar DIN is "stronger" than the 200 bar DIN and that is an erroneous belief. The loing/short configuration was not to provide more strength, but to keep regulators that were only rated to 230 BAR off of 300 BAR tanks. As there are very few regs (if any) that are only rated to 230 BAR anymore, it is a moot point. The weak point in these regs is NOT the DIN threads... it is the small fitting that attaches the DIN threads to the regulator housing.

Shrewd move by PST though... very shrewd.

LUBOLD8431 wrote...
Ok, first of all, you should have your name on your cylinders, and the mod of the gas, along with Nitrox stickers. Secondly, 300 bar regs are very common. Where are you diving???
In areas where I have to actively seek out DIN tanks. By far the overwhelming majority of tanks and regs I've seen in North America were yokes.

DIN regs tend to be owned by divers who own DIN tanks. As a generalization, people who own both are more experienced and know better than to grab a strange tank. YMMV.

I see no need to mark my doubles, and MOD stickers seem sufficient for stages. If I start diving singles again, I would use the nitrox stickers you mentioned.

Ok, I win the "idiot (or dummy, take your pick) of the day" award...
Here I'm asking for the higher pressure rating in writing and all I had to do was go look at my "200" bar manifolds... There is is, plain as day, "232 Bar" stamped right on the ScubaPro valves bigger'n life! The Dive-Rite manifold has no rating stamped on it but it's clearly as robust as the ScubaPro. Checked my DIN/Yoke "H" valves and they too are stamped "232 Bar."
Bottom line, the "E" series tanks are perfectly OK (as LUBOLD, Pescadore and NetDoc have said) with the convertible DIN/Yoke "K" valves.
Rick

Cool, when I buy a tank(after dry suit probably) I'll definitely grab the PST E-series probably a 100 or the next larger. Jeff

Back
Top Bottom