Juvenile Sweetlip Jerking Dance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

klausi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Why do juvenile sweetlips move in such an odd way? I don't think it's anti-predatory, since they don't change location much during their dance. The continuous jerking movement surely must use a lot of energy! Even more curious, the adult fish are very placid. Has anyone done research on this question?

I shot a little video of these fish in Dauin last week:

They're watching a Richard Simmons video?

I got this searching Wikipedia, but it does make sense:They "mimic the movement of a poisonous flatworm for defence against predators. "
Lovely video! Thank you for sharing.

Thank you - I guess I somewhat see the similarity. I haven't seen any flatworms where I dive for a long time, and these sweetlip juveniles are everywhere. But I can't get into a predatory fish's head, either.

I got this searching Wikipedia, but it does make sense:They "mimic the movement of a poisonous flatworm for defence against predators. "
Lovely video! Thank you for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom