just want improve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buckedoff96

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all
I've been diving for almost 2 years. Only 49 dives at the moment. Just looking too improve. Ok I'm AOWD but somehow still feel like a newbie. Ok experience is the best teacher but any ideas on some skill building exercises to keep improving.
Just want to improve all areas of diving.

Take up underwater photography. You will slow down, use less air, see the sights and learn excellent buoyancy control.

Or, keep taking courses. If you have run through all of the standard specialties, consider the technical courses. You can develop a lot of new skills through the TDI courses (and other agency's).

It depends on whether you dive for adventure or have a fascination with marine life.

Richard

What I did was dive more the more you do the better you get . A nother thing I did was some times I would find a place to get on my knees and just stay there and watched the fish till it was time to end the dive and that will help you relax and breath better

Well, first off, kudos to you for wanting better skills! And they pay off handsomely, because this sport is like skiing - the better you get at it, the more fun it is.

If you are working on your own, there are a number of things you can do. One is to work on hovering. The goal is to be able to sit still in the water, without moving hands or feet, for as long as you want to. This may require moving some weight around to get balanced and also adjusting body posture to get better trim. But being able to sit still and look at things was a big leap forward in diving skill for me.

Another is to work on your buoyancy control while task loaded. Try hovering and flooding and clearing your mask, or taking it off, or practicing an air-share with your buddy while hovering off the bottom. (Warning: Do these things initially in shallow water, because you may be surprised at how badly your buoyancy will be affected, when you begin to practice.)

Finally, you could consider taking a class that works on these things, and introduces other ideas like non-silting propulsion techniques. You don't say where in Germany you are, but German has a GUE instructor who can teach the Fundamentals class, which is where I learned these things. Various agencies also offer an "intro to tech" class, which is a bit of a misnomer, as one is permitted in at least some to do the class in a single tank setup, just to learn the skills.

Have fun with it -- practice dives can be a great way to get wet, when you don't have access to more exciting sites because of weather or logistics.

Dive more.

Try taking up swimming as a sport and for fittness. The better you feel in the water the more comfrotable you'll be diving. It also builds confidence. Also try using your lungs as a bc the more you release air out of you your lungs the less tendancy to float.
Most important relax and enjoy.
Rauven Schneider

DIVE MORE!!!!
take a few minutes during each dive to do a few of your OW skills, flood your mask, bouyancy, or hover motionless for 1 minute, for example, even at a safety stop, I do 2-3 skills with my kids on every dive, and when in my doubles I always do shutdown and s drills, just keeps things fresh, every one of my kids has done an entire dive (17' clear viz, & we get bored in Tahoe) while buddy breathing, that did wonders for all of their confidence,

Go for a skills circuit.

If you have chance to spend some time on a shallow bottom with little or no current, review the skills you demonstrated on your Open Water dives (so reg removal/replacement, mask removal, equipment, fin pivot etc). If you can't remember the skills, book a refresher/review with a DM or an instructor. You may also be able to do this on a pool night with your LDS or club.

A skills review will give you the chance to go over many things you don't normally do on a regular dive. If you're a bit rusty or lacking confidence in some skills, it'll be an opportunity to get some practice on these skills. I am willing to bet my mask that you will feel a lot more comfortable and confident after a round.

Also, you may want to consider the Rescue course. If you feel your buoyancy control is at a good level and you're ready to gain new skills, the Rescue Diver (SSI equivalent Stress and Rescue) will be an opportunity to concentrate on the important aspects of preventing problems and dealing with them when they occur. Being prepared and being armed with a bit more knowledge always makes you a more confident diver.

Take up underwater photography. You will slow down, use less air, see the sights and learn excellent buoyancy control.

Or, keep taking courses. If you have run through all of the standard specialties, consider the technical courses. You can develop a lot of new skills through the TDI courses (and other agency's).

It depends on whether you dive for adventure or have a fascination with marine life.

Richard

I disagree with the first statement. I say learn good buoyancy control first before even touching a camera. There are plenty of awful divers out there who's sole purpose is to get a shot...

You don't need a camera to gain feedback on your skills... just tune in your awareness to your surroundings and your position in the water column. Also a mentor who has more experience who can give you honest feedback should also be a big help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom