just want improve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are four GUE instructors in Germany, although they're all in the north. But it's not THAT bad a drive from the Wurzburg area to Hamburg, Muenster or Monchengladbach. Their recreational classes, as well as Fundies, would offer you what you're looking for, I think.

I do like that idea of practising things like mask clearing etc from basic skills. One thing I need to work out is weight distibution. I've always had very strong thick legs. I've noticed that as soon as I stop moving my legs are going down. This really makes more work for me. My BCD has integrated weight pockets but none on the shoulders. My buddy/dive instructor suggested putting a few kg of weight on my upper back. Next dive I'm going to give that a try and see if it helps balancing me out.
I'm thinking about buying a hula hoop(s) and making myself an obsticle course. Just a thought to improve in one way. I really don't get into the water as much as I like to, time just doesn't allow it all the time. Yes experience is the best teacher so I need to make every dive count.
I don't consider myself a bad diver just the least experienced of the group. I do dive with folks like my girlfriend who is a rescue diver for a local water rescue group (DLRG) and my friend thats been diving for almost 20 years. So it's safe to say I respect them and sure ok yes be as good as them LOL

Many shops offer a boyancy control course - consider taking it If they don't offer one, consider asking around - or personally observing - a DM or Instructor you feel has great skills and asking them to dive with you - offer to pay for their boat dives, or admissions; buy them lunch afterwards (if they are not charging you for a class)

Don't know if right now is the best time to take up u/w photography - would like to see your skills improve 1st

Dive as much as possible - its really what makes you better

Congrats on wanting to improve - I see so many divers with terrible boyancy skills - the reason I personally care is they tend to hit the bottom and mess up the viz for everyone - all divers should make this a goal to improve, if not for themselves, then for their fellow divers.

Good Luck!

Agree with most of what has been said here so far, but as a relatively new diver 2 years/200 dives, drastically different dive conditions taught me the most. Experimenting at the local quarry, high seas at Key Largo, current in Australia . . . I have learned valuable lessons at all locales. If you are serious about diving, expanding beyond your comfort zone assuming solid basic skills, would be my recommendation. Advanced dive buddy/club is a requisite towards increasing your skill level outside an official class.

Donna

I do keep myself off the bottom pretty well. I did find myself on the bottom as a student and really have no desire to be "that guy" everyone wants to... LOL Another reason to stay off the bottom is things like scorpion fish and other things that can sting you LOL
I agree with not going with camera. My last dive I did have it but turned it on video mode and just dove and worried about diving and enjoying it. The video wasn't that bad.
Unfortunately I'm a bit land locked where I'm at so getting to the ocean isn't very often.
I really appreciate all the replys here. I'm looking forward to trying some of these things out. I do have a friend that would probably love to get in the water with me just for the sake of "lets go"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom