Just Returned from Cozumel; Blacktip and Hammerhead Sighting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guitarcrazy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We just returned from our trip to Cozumel and it was a great experience. I will probably do a trip report, but for now just wanted to mention that we saw a blacktip at Punta Sur, and the next day a hammerhead cruised by us at the end of Palencar Horseshoe out in the blue. The hammerhead was moving and I didn't get the best look, but the divemaster and another diver in the group were closer and both said it was a hammerhead. There is a video but the GoPro image was too small too get a good look. Lots of wildlife on the trip, and numerous close encounters with Eagle Rays. Another diver at our resort saw a blacktip at Punta Sur the next day. Can't wait to go back.

Jaylus. All I got was anaphylactic shock from fire ants.

Where were you staying that you got eaten up by fire ants? I have stayed at 6 different hotels/resorts and have never had a run in with fire ants.

Where were you staying that you got eaten up by fire ants? I have stayed at 6 different hotels/resorts and have never had a run in with fire ants.

It was my first time, too. We stayed in an airbnb with a backyard. my daughter wanted to go check out the coconut tree. I stepped on a nest. i would estimate roughly 50 stings. passed the **** out but nothing a handful of benadryl and steroids couldn't fix.

The "usual suspects" in Coz are very impressive--but black tips, hammerheads, and eagle rays are very special indeed--glad you and others got to enjoy them.

I have heard of only a few instances (count on one hand) of hammerhead sightings in Coz over the past 15 years that I have been diving there.

The "usual suspects" in Coz are very impressive--but black tips, hammerheads, and eagle rays are very special indeed--glad you and others got to enjoy them.

I have heard of only a few instances (count on one hand) of hammerhead sightings in Coz over the past 15 years that I have been diving there.

supposedly there was one hanging out at Santa Rosa in February.

It was my first time, too. We stayed in an airbnb with a backyard. my daughter wanted to go check out the coconut tree. I stepped on a nest. i would estimate roughly 50 stings. passed the **** out but nothing a handful of benadryl and steroids couldn't fix.
Yikes glad you are ok

Yikes glad you are ok

it was pretty crazy. i dove the day after and could only manage 30 minutes on an A80. Definitely threw me for a loop. This is a warning to anyone else going down there. Stay off the grass. Stick to the concrete.

it was pretty crazy. i dove the day after and could only manage 30 minutes on an A80. Definitely threw me for a loop. This is a warning to anyone else going down there. Stay off the grass. Stick to the concrete.

2 years ago I broke a bone in my foot a week before we were scheduled to dive Coz. No way I was going to have that put in a cast and miss my diving. Lotsa ice applied to my foot lounging about on vaca but I got my 2 weeks of diving in! Foot looks a bit different these days but who looks at someone else's feet anyway except a weirdo?

We just returned from our trip to Cozumel and it was a great experience. I will probably do a trip report, but for now just wanted to mention that we saw a blacktip at Punta Sur, and the next day a hammerhead cruised by us at the end of Palencar Horseshoe out in the blue. The hammerhead was moving and I didn't get the best look, but the divemaster and another diver in the group were closer and both said it was a hammerhead. There is a video but the GoPro image was too small too get a good look. Lots of wildlife on the trip, and numerous close encounters with Eagle Rays. Another diver at our resort saw a blacktip at Punta Sur the next day. Can't wait to go back.
Awsome. Whenever the guides ask what we want to see I always say hammerheads, one day.

Back
Top Bottom