Just returned from Cozumel and used Costco Travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice write up. At $1600 per person for an upscale AI that includes airfare and most of the diving, that's really a pretty decent price. The biggest drawback in your post was the dive time of 50 minutes. Next was an hour to hour and a half boat ride.

:shocked:

I’d be doing that trip for 5-600 less, diving with a private guide / personal friend and eating better quality food. But I’m not knocking the AI food, overly sweet watered down fruity drinks or the scuba cattle boats, someone has to do it. Just glad it’s not me. :p

You are are paying a package price - the diving is not simply "included" with the AI - the cost of the diving is built in and you're getting an extra special rate aspart of the Scubaboard Invasion.
I don't understand the distinction between "All Inclusive" and the cost being "Built In". Doesn't All Inclusive mean that everything is built into the cost you pay to stay there? Room, Food, Drinks (alcohol or not), Diving, Pool Access, Fitness Center, wifi, tv, etc are all included as far as I can tell. Can you elaborate on the distinction?

I just got back from my first trip to Cozumel and I booked the trip thru Costco Travel.
The resort they book in Cozumel was Cozumel Palace and it is a pretty high class all-inclusive.

Had a wonderful time and now I can't wait to go back!
Nice warm clear water with lots to see!

If you want to read more about the trip and the deal thru Costco I wrote up a little blog report.

http://nwdivers.me/blog/cozumel-palace-aqua-safari-a-scuba-dive-trip-thru-costcotravel/

View attachment 459994
Do you have to be a costco member to get that package?

Do you have to be a costco member to get that package?

Yes you have to be a Costco member to use Costco Travel.

As far as - distinction between "All Inclusive" and the cost being "Built In"
Someone else has to figure that out - I am just writing up how the trip was that I went on.
I don't sell the trips or have anything to do with or have an existing relationship with the companies providing services on the trip. :)

I think the marine park fee was only $2 per diver so the $4 was per day.
I will go edit that part as not to mislead people.

OK - that makes more sense - $4 for both of you :)

@npole - there are MANY operations who provide these services regardless of which hotel the guests choose. Dressel is not unique with that service nor were they the pioneers of that service. There are several operations who provide this service on smaller boats with long term seasoned/experienced Cozumel Divemasters & Instructors - not packed with 20 of your "closest" friends

Everyone has their favorites and Dressel has some happy divers, but I just wanted to clarify that the services you describe that put Dressel "on another level" are not unique to Dressel.

Everyone has their favorites and Dressel has some happy divers, but I just wanted to clarify that the services you describe that put Dressel "on another level" are not unique to Dressel.

Indeed, I can imagine every dive OP would do the same by paying.. with money you can have a DM pushing you underwater because you're too lazy to use your fins. :)

I mean that Dressel, for what I have seen there, are "oriented" versus this kind of approach as "standard", probably because of the majority of their customers are another race of divers. What amazed me is that you have always a person with you, every instant, even when you're mounting your gear, you don't even to look for people or asking where to go of what to do (that is common if you're visiting a new place), even if you have to go to the bathroom! You're assisted like a baby from when you exit from the door of your hotel room to the water and until you finished your dive.

Don't get me wrong.. this is NOT the type of accommodation I normally look for, it was a coincidence, I normally dive in a completely different condition, and I like the "basics" of being a diver without all the servant around me, but for one time I enjoyed the experience, and as you said, it's certain not a prerogative of Dressel Divers.

PS: I taken advantage of your whole Cozumel restaurant list.. and I enjoyed it alot! Thank you. :)

Indeed, I can imagine every dive OP would do the same by paying.. with money you can have a DM pushing you underwater because you're too lazy to use your fins. :)

I mean that Dressel, for what I have seen there, are "oriented" versus this kind of approach as "standard", probably because of the majority of their customers are another race of divers. What amazed me is that you have always a person with you, every instant, even when you're mounting your gear, you don't even to look for people or asking where to go of what to do (that is common if you're visiting a new place), even if you have to go to the bathroom! You're assisted like a baby from when you exit from the door of your hotel room to the water and until you finished your dive.

Don't get me wrong.. this is NOT the type of accommodation I normally look for, it was a coincidence, I normally dive in a completely different condition, and I like the "basics" of being a diver without all the servant around me, but for one time I enjoyed the experience, and as you said, it's certain not a prerogative of Dressel Divers.

PS: I taken advantage of your whole Cozumel restaurant list.. and I enjoyed it alot! Thank you. :)
Thank you! I am glad my list was helpful to you.

Just curious, were any of your DiveMasters Mexican Nationals or were they European, Canadian, American, etc.? Did any of them have more than 2-3 years of experience as a DM or in Cozumel?

Have you dove Cozumel before?
The valet dive op experience is very common.

There are often threads about ops that will or won't handle wetsuits, but that "do it all for you and be guided every step of the way" exists in many ops. The trick is to find the one who handles it all, and gives you the freedom to dive a more advanced dive if you can.

The Costco package sounds amazing, but I have a hard time giving up my favorite ops... I stay in way less cushy digs though.

Last edited:
Thank you! I am glad my list was helpful to you.

Just curious, were any of your DiveMasters Mexican Nationals or were they European, Canadian, American, etc.? Did any of them have more than 2-3 years of experience as a DM or in Cozumel?

All European with years of experience (especially the two who went in the Cenotes with us), we had two DM's for 3 of us. One was Italian, and he was in Cozumel by one year if I'm not wrong, and he was in a southern (America) country before (maybe Chile) and he would have moved away again "soon" to somewhere else. It looked like that all the staff was European, even in the office.

I became "friend" (someway) with another DM from another dive OP and he told me some some not-good stories about their management and how they doesn't like the local DM's, and how they refused to hire him only because he lived there (despite the fact that he was European as well)... or he was just disappointed because they didn't wanna get him, who know (the guy was a little on the crazy said.. even underwater.. but a very fun and nice person).

Well... end of gossip. I enjoyed every day there, it's a loving place and I will return for sure.

I don't understand the distinction between "All Inclusive" and the cost being "Built In". Doesn't All Inclusive mean that everything is built into the cost you pay to stay there? Room, Food, Drinks (alcohol or not), Diving, Pool Access, Fitness Center, wifi, tv, etc are all included as far as I can tell. Can you elaborate on the distinction?

You don't pay more or less depending on how often you use the pool, how much you eat for dinner, or how much time you spend on wifi. You do pay more if you dive 4 days instead of 3, or 5 days instead of 4. See the distinction?

The added service of diving comes with a corresponding added price. The standard AI (that you would book on Expedia or Orbitz) does not include diving. Their website says about AI "With this program everything comes inclusive; breakfast, lunch, snacks, and dinner -all buffet style; domestic alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks; days plenty of scheduled activities by the swimming pool, night entertainment, open-air gym, pool tables, bike tours, and non-motorized water sports such as; snorkeling, kayaking and one free Scuba Dive introductory lesson per person."

They can put together a "package" for 5 days of diving that adds the cost of 5 days of diving (maybe you get a small discount). An agent could also put together a package for all of that plus a day trip to a cenote, an afternoon of horseback riding, and a rental car for a much higher price but that doesn't mean Hotel Coz AI "includes" rental car and horseback riding and cenote diving.

Christi could book your hotel for you and charge you one price so does that mean a multi-day package with Blue XT Sea "includes" lodging?

When you go to a restaurant and order a steak dinner, does that mean a steak dinner "includes" an appetizer, dessert, and a bottle of wine because the restaurant brings you one check for it all? I guess you could say that every restaurant is an all-you-can-eat since they will cheerfully serve you (and charge you) as much food as you order.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom