Just returned from Cozumel and used Costco Travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks! I'm going to Hotel Cozumel (does include diving in the AI) with Scubaboard next month but in 2019 we're vacationing without the Scubaboard folks. Both my wife and I would like cushier digs, so I'll take a good long look at Cozumel Palace. Sorry to sidetrack the thread!

There’s always a trade off...dive convenience or cushier digs. What a dilemma!

Yes, the Cozumel Palace is significantly nicer than other AIs on the island...probably one of the very top on the island. I have heard people complain about various hotels/AIs they have stayed at. Not once have I ever heard a complaint about Cozumel Palace. That doesn't mean there haven't been complaints...just that you don't hear many.

All-inclusive is rarely all inclusive, especially with reference to diving. Just got back from a Middle East trip that included four days at Fort Arabesque, an all-inclusive resort in Hurghada, Egypt. Food, beverages, a specific list of alcoholic drinks, room, and some water sports activities were included, but not diving, which was perfectly reasonable IMO. By the way, Fort Arabesque and its on-site dive shop, I Dive Diving Center, were fantastic.

That credit system seems like it would be frustrating. Is Cozumel Palace significantly nicer than other AI's on Coz such as Hotel Cozumel?

I always cringe when I see resorts listed as "all inclusive" but then see things like diving are extra.

It is because the dive shop onsite is a separate business - simply renting space from the hotel. Like any business, they need to be paid for their services. Since not all guests are divers, it wouldn't make sense to build this into the room rate since diving is an significant extra expense.

All-inclusive means room, food, drinks and other "fixed" resort amenities such as pool, entertainment, etc. - but spa services, outside activities are RARELY ever included unless at a dive specific resort like Scuba Club here - which is like a land based liveaboard - dive, eat, sleep

Last edited:
Thanks! I'm going to Hotel Cozumel (does include diving in the AI) with Scubaboard next month but in 2019 we're vacationing without the Scubaboard folks. Both my wife and I would like cushier digs, so I'll take a good long look at Cozumel Palace. Sorry to sidetrack the thread!
You are are paying a package price - the diving is not simply "included" with the AI - the cost of the diving is built in and you're getting an extra special rate aspart of the Scubaboard Invasion.

It is because the dive shop onsite is a separate business - simply renting space from the hotel. Like any business, they need to be paid for their services. Since not all guests are divers, it wouldn't make sense to build this into the room rate since diving is an significant extra expense.

All-inclusive means room, food, drinks and other "fixed" resort amenities such as pool, entertainment, etc. - but spa services, outside activities are RARELY ever included unless at a dive specific resort like Scuba Club here - which is like a land based liveaboard - dive, eat, sleep

And even SCC is not necessarily "all" inclusive. Beverages aren't included and you have to book an upgraded rate if you want dinner. Which makes sense as many people want to go into town for the amazing restaurants, and this way they aren't skipping an already paid for meal.

I've always thought of all-inclusive as "I don't have to pay for anything else if I don't want to". Of course, going to Cozumel, divers are going to want to dive. But surprisingly a lot of people there don't dive. (What do they do all day?!)

Random question Christi- if you read the thread again. Are they allowed to charge extra for the marine park bracelets? That kind of surprises me. (As opposed to having to call it like a convenience fee or something)

One of the nicest AI in Cozumel is IMO the Iberostar. You really have everything (including water-sports) .. but not Scuba diving of course, that is handled by Dressel Divers, that is coincidentally one of the most expensive OP in the island (and in other places around Europe as well), but man.. their service is on another level. It's oriented to those "holiday divers" who doesn't like to carry stuff and used to pay for everything if they can avoid to do one step more.. :) ..so when a diver that is used to carry tons of equipment and do certain "stressful" dives, enjoy that "luxury", it's like to be in paradise. I have been with them two times (including the Cenotes and the bull sharks in Playa) and I think it has been my first time that after a day of diving I finished more rested than when I started! Even the access to the whole Iberostar services where included in the "daily pass". But I spent a "fortune" (compared with Dive Paradise).

That credit system seems like it would be frustrating. Is Cozumel Palace significantly nicer than other AI's on Coz such as Hotel Cozumel?

I always cringe when I see resorts listed as "all inclusive" but then see things like diving are extra.
Cozumel Palace is posh. I have had friends stay there and I have visited them there. It is really sweet. I have considered staying there, but those credits wouldn't work for me and my preferred dive op on the island. You know who you are @Christi :wink:

Nice report.

I imagine the credits could not be used on ancillary dives because they can't cover expenses on those. Fuel prices here have sky rocketed and dive prices are increasing around the island as a result.

Nitrox fills are provided by an outside facility, so that is why the credits could not be used for Nitrox. For rental gear, credits don't cover replacement or wear and tear - so that makes sense as well.

The 16% tax is understandable - we (businesses) are tax collectors for the government and regardless of payment method, we are responsible for collecting and reporting the sales tax on top of our prices.

I did notice that they are charging almost double for the marine park fees.
Mexico Gasoline Prices | 1992-2018 | Data | Chart | Calendar | Forecast

When you collect your money in USD I'm not sure fuel prices have skyrocketed.

Back
Top Bottom