Just put money down on White's fusion drysuit, but having second thoughs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jak Crow

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm in the process of getting fusion tech drysuit w/ the new silicon seals for around $1500, but I'm wondering if I'm just paying too much for a drysuit like this and if I would be better served with a sub-$1000 suit like the Atlan 7mm which gets good marks. Opinions?

Let me preface everything by saying I dive a Fusion w/ the Tech LTD skin.

Well, you are talking about two completely different drysuits, the Atlan being 7mm neoprene, which will require a lot of ballast to sink, and the Fusion, which is a shell suit. Not knowing much about the Atlan, I cannot comment on quality or construction, but I have been happy with my Fusion. There are a lot of other SB users that will agree. What configuration and options did you get on the Fusion (Skin, boots, pockets, undergarments, etc.)?

What was the reasoning behind spending more for the "tech" layer?
Perhaps you could have saved a couple hundred bucks by going with the sport skin.

Neoprene drysuits take a long time to dry.
A neoprene drysuit with thin undergarment may require more ballast than a shell drysuit with thicker undergarment.

FWIW, I think the sillicone seals are a good choice.

I got a Fusion with a tech skin on a special deal at Dive Right In Scuba. It was one of a group that a dealer walked away from, $1100, brand new, all the goodies. I got the tech skin because it came with pockets, and I don't think pockets are even an option for the lycra? Not sure about that, but I couldn't pass the deal up. Plus, 20% off an already discounted price for the Thermal Fusion undergarment during black Friday. Hell I was on a roll, so I went for the Si-Tech dry gloves. Now if it would just get here!!!

Full neoprene suits are generally less expensive, but they have drawbacks. Like wetsuits, they compress with depth, which means they aren't as warm on deep dives. This is unlike other suits, where the undergarment is the insulation, and as it is kept lofted by adding gas to the suit, it retains its insulating qualities no matter how deep you go.

Neoprene suits will also, by the same token, age, just as wetsuits do. The more compression cycles, the less insulation the neoprene provides.

Neoprene dries slowly and is heavy when wet. Neoprene suits are therefore hard to travel with, and can be a bit of a pain to muscle around the car or truck (or to get back into when wet). But they are less expensive.

I think you will be happy with your Fusion. Getting the tech skin give you very workable pockets. (I like other pockets better, but I just did a cave diving trip in my Fusion Tech, and got three spools and my markers out of -- and back INTO -- my pocket without any particular problems.) The Tech skin is lighter than the Bullet and dries faster, and also makes it easier to rinse between the skin and the suit. The Sport skin is amazingly durable and very light, but if you want pockets, you're stuck with some kind of DIY setup, or something like X-shorts, which work great but are just one more thing to forget when you pack :)

The Fusion is a great suit. I used it for most of my instruction dives from my LDS's rentals, and I would buy it if money were not an issue. The front entry is nice, and the double layers are good too. As well, it allows for a lot of flexibility. I think $1500 for everything (including undergarments and the skin) is a good deal. I think you'll enjoy it.

Let me preface everything by saying I dive a Fusion w/ the Tech LTD skin.

Well, you are talking about two completely different drysuits, the Atlan being 7mm neoprene, which will require a lot of ballast to sink, and the Fusion, which is a shell suit. Not knowing much about the Atlan, I cannot comment on quality or construction, but I have been happy with my Fusion. There are a lot of other SB users that will agree. What configuration and options did you get on the Fusion (Skin, boots, pockets, undergarments, etc.)?

All the details aren't in stone yet, but I'm getting it with the silicon seals, fusion boots and thermalwear. I just locked in the cyber monday price by putting it on layaway at dive right in scuba.

I too have a Tech Skin LE. Personally I hate the pockets, but am going to try my X-shorts over it tomorrow (If the dang wind dies down). I have a set of XS Scuba pockets I will sew onto the skin and replace the factory pockets. There are things I like about the suit and things I do not like. Given a choice right now I would switch back to a trilam like a TLS350, and I have a mostly worn out DUI CF200 in the closet.

For a brand new suit with undies I would say the price is beyond fair. Of course I wouldn't be looking at anything less than the MK3.

sound to me like you got a real good deal and I would go with it with out ant second thoughts . My dive buddy got the bullet w/ the sylicone seals he love his suite and he paid a good chunk of change more than you . he told me id dive almost like a wet suit. I dive a Trilam suite I have not tried a fusion so I am only going by my dive buddy's input to his DS. IN JOY YOUR NEW SUIT when you get it

Sounds like you got a very good deal. Especially with the new Thermal Fusion undergarment. I've been reading good reviews on it. You got a good deal and should have many happy dives with that suit!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom