Just picked up regulator from 2 year service/rebuild - what to do with old parts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I mean the second stage diaphragm. If a service guy destroyed my property I think I would be a bit angry. Those parts belong to the regulators owner. That is usually a replace on condition part anyway as is the exhaust valve (unless removed). It is a good thing I do my own service.
I meant first stage diaphragm. Yeah if it was a second stage diaphragm then I’d be pissed!
Come to think of it, I was a little pissed that they cut stuff up. That reg tech is long gone and the shop has changed hands since. Now they just return the freshly serviced reg and no old parts.
I suppose I can kind of see their point though with liability. If they return used intact parts then if the customer decided to try DIY service with those old parts and something went wrong, then the shop could technically be on the hook for enabling someone who had no business being in possesion of them.

I throw everything away, never ever store or used them at all. I don't any chance of them getting mixed with new parts or somebody else using them. I don't need spare "used/discarded" parts. I have spare regulators, BC's, Masks, etc.

Depending on the reg, the second stage diaphragm may or may not get replaced. It's rare that they actually need replaced. If they do it's because it's got a hole or is torn.
On a first stage diaphragm reg the diaphragm is always replaced on a full rebuild and you cannot re-use it. The reg will not seal up properly.
I always return old parts in a bag stapled shut with "do not re-use" written on it. The first stage kits I get have o rings for the hoses and those always get sent back marked new unless they have been used to replace the ones on the hoses. Sometimes I just get sent the stages without hoses so I send the ones with the kit back and the owner can change them.
Properly dispose of the used parts. Depending on the size of the used o rings they can be used for quick release on long hose clips. Put it on the hose and use zip tie to attach a bolt snap.

I have no problem re-using some parts, like the MK15 bushings/circlip. They don't seal anything and they last forever unless they're abused. It's helpful to me because I typically buy seats and o-rings separately. But parts that wear or actually seal pressure I wouldn't re-use.

Well yeah, when the dive shop replaces your perfectly good proven to work stuff
at too close intervals through lack of knowledge and the manufacturers directive
bin them like your money

106 017.JPG

or store some of it in bags like I do never to be used except for photos here on ScubaBoard

Well yeah, when the dive shop replaces your perfectly good proven to work stuff
at too close intervals through lack of knowledge and the manufacturers directive
bin them like your money

View attachment 747405

or store some of it in bags like I do never to be used except for photos here on ScubaBoard

You just can't get yourself to throw stuff away, can you? I have the same problem myself:)

Come to think of it, I was a little pissed that they cut stuff up. That reg tech is long gone and the shop has changed hands since. Now they just return the freshly serviced reg and no old parts.
I suppose I can kind of see their point though with liability. If they return used intact parts then if the customer decided to try DIY service with those old parts and something went wrong, then the shop could technically be on the hook for enabling someone who had no business being in possesion of them.

Cut up or not, the replaced parts should be returned, otherwise how would you know they were replaced? Unless I had a history with the tech, I'd be reluctant to take their word. Not to mention that I want to see what shape they are in since I work on most of my regs myself. And if the tech doesn't want to give up the parts, let me see them, and cut them, before giving them back, as they could reuse them as easily as I.

As a lifelong tech, not scuba, I always returned replaced parts and explained why they were replaced and handed them over or dropped them in the nearest trash can. The exception was repairable, they were given the explanation and the choice of keeping it for the additional core charge, I never got a taker.

Cut up or not, the replaced parts should be returned, otherwise how would you know they were replaced? Unless I had a history with the tech, I'd be reluctant to take their word. Not to mention that I want to see what shape they are in since I work on most of my regs myself. And if the tech doesn't want to give up the parts, let me see them, and cut them, before giving them back, as they could reuse them as easily as I.

As a lifelong tech, not scuba, I always returned replaced parts and explained why they were replaced and handed them over or dropped them in the nearest trash can. The exception was repairable, they were given the explanation and the choice of keeping it for the additional core charge, I never got a taker.
Ron’s the one that used to cut them.
I was a sucker at first and took my regs in once a year like I was told otherwise I could die. I’m sure those parts were like brand new. Come to think of it there were only cut O-rings in that bag and no HP seat. Where did the seat go??

Back
Top Bottom