Just ordered my FATHOM!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So you'll probably need a weight belt. I needed two pounds with a wetsuit in the ocean, using single 80s as bailout, SS plate and 6# scrubber. I opted for 4 just to have a little weight.

Here's a trick I picked up from Bob Schulte for adding weight to the Fathom. It sandwiches in between the cylinder mounting brackets and the backplate, so it's fairly clean and hidden. Using the quick link, you can easily remove it for travel.

View attachment 518679

I saw his trick on the fb group and was going to copy it but then got thinking. It's our first trip to Bonaire/Buddy dive and had no clue if they have soft weights or hard weights, so I figured I'd try the pouches as the safest option to cover all scenarios.

I have a suspicion I'm going to need about 8lbs or so. I plan to use thin undergarments, and mainly have to counter my buoyant pudge. My wife is 102lbs, so I suspect she'd sink like a stone with just the fathom and her backplate.

It honestly feels a little strokey having weight pouches sticking out back. That or I can say I'm aspiring to be a Revo diver since I've never seen one in the wild without weights strewn all over it.

Buddy Dive? Tell my friends Mr. G and Lars that I said hello. BTW, the water is warm there, you will not need a drysuit. :)

Anyone have a price sheet on these?

Buddy Dive? Tell my friends Mr. G and Lars that I said hello. BTW, the water is warm there, you will not need a drysuit. :)

Drysuit is total overkill, but we both get cold easily and plan for a couple long dives a day. Plus we don't own wetsuits anymore, so just plan to stick with the drysuit.

There's also the fact that I look like and feel like a member of the orca family when I'm crammed into a wetsuit.

View attachment 518667

There's a couple photos. Ignore the weight pouches on the unit. I'm testing it for some saltwater dives coming up
just noticed the plastic DIN plug...

Recommend being absolutely paranoid about that. If you crack the valve on, the vent holes are too small and the force of the gas can cause the plastic plug to shatter. If your hand is over the plug you will be on your way to the ER for stitches, if not it will eject violently. You can get brass plugs with a vent so that if they pressurize you aren't doing the wrench unscrew roulette. Or if indoors you can leave it open.

just noticed the plastic DIN plug...

Recommend being absolutely paranoid about that. If you crack the valve on, the vent holes are too small and the force of the gas can cause the plastic plug to shatter. If your hand is over the plug you will be on your way to the ER for stitches, if not it will eject violently. You can get brass plugs with a vent so that if they pressurize you aren't doing the wrench unscrew roulette. Or if indoors you can leave it open.

I was going to get some brass plugs but have been lazy. I hate those plastic ones too. They came with the valves and I've been using them to keep dog hair out of the oxygen valve.

Just curious what the typical/default IP is set at with a fathom?
I have Charlie's needle valve and I blocked mine at 200psi.
Why does a needle valve system need such a high IP?

Why does a needle valve system need such a high IP?
I didnt want a depth limit. 200psi is beyond where I ever plan on going. There's a bit of a gap between the highest stable IP on the standard DS4 spring (11bar max) and the lowest stable IP with Martin's beefier spring (13bar min).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom