Just looking to double check guidance on DIY drysuit zipper repair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi, I'm sure this gets posted a lot but the most recent thing I could find through google was 2017.

I'm looking to follow this youtube video when it comes to changing my drysuit zipper...
Does that technique look solid or is there anything more or less that I should be doing?

Can anyone recommend the best brand of plastic zip? I'm on my third broken metal zip, which is why I both want plastic and to do it myself to save money.

Finally, I can find loads of places selling zips and sealant tapes, but I'm not certain what glues are being used or where to buy more than an ounce tube at a time?

I'm in Canada if anyone has recommendations that would be awesome.

I'm commercial so I'm in the water half of each month for a couple of hours a day.

Reactions: OTF
I love this guy, had a look at his stuff when I changed my Fusion cuffs

from the factory abomination

full

To purrrrrfectly smooth

full

like they should be when you're paying three grand

full

Magnificent!

The method and adhesives for zipper attachment depends on the type of suit.

Trilaminate is usually sewn in and then aquasealed. Neoprene is typically contact cement (3m wood weld or equivalent) and then aquaseal as far as I’ve seen. Dive right in scuba will recommend and sell adhesives if you have some other kind of suit.

+1 for DRiS. Call them, tell them what you want to do. They'll support you any way they can, they've given me tips and talked me through anything I've done DIY.

Both P valve and wrist seal / dry glove installs that I did myself. I don't find it hard, but it is time consuming.

They also sell glue and everything you would need. Just know that when your done, there will be things you wished you did different. There's a learning curve, so maybe practice gluing some old neoprene or trilam or something first to get the feel.

Trilaminate is usually sewn in and then aquasealed. Neoprene is typically contact cement (3m wood weld or equivalent) and then aquaseal as far as I’ve seen.

you should start hanging around in different places and not recommend stuff people know nothing about

Aquaseal, no mate, if they stitch zippers, they special glue, stitch, then they heat-glue tape over stitch holes

(3m wood weld or equivalent) even sounds ridiculous and don't use aquaseal to repair anything shown here

DRIS mixes their own glue and that stuff is violently pungently effective if you know how, as far as I've used it

you should start hanging around in different places
Right back at you. Why do you attack others when you have a great opportunity here to share meaningful assistance based on your own experience just as I did?

they special glue, stitch, then they heat-glue tape over stitch holes
What type of suit material/brands of adhesive have you used this "special glue" method on? The OP asked for types of adhesive to use and the "special glue" is one I’ve not heard of. What are the actual names of the adhesive product you used for replacing zippers or observed others using? It appears the OP wants to DIY.

How many zippers or drysuit seals have you replaced yourself? I don’t pretend to be an expert, just another guy on scubaboard, but have replaced plenty and they all worked great.

Just because you’ve not heard of 3M weld wood doesn’t mean it’s ridiculous. I’ve studied several repair manuals and the airspeed press (publisher of the famed oxyhacker guide) drysuit repair manual is a great one. It goes into 188 pages of detail on drysuit repair and specifically recommends this 3M product among many others, including aquaseal.

edit to add: @happy-diver looks like you are using a shell type suit in the fusion. Perhaps you are confusing repair methods for that suit type with what I described for neoprene and trilaminate. Nows your chance to show you aren’t just trolling this thread by sharing some actual product details for someone interested in DIY.

Here you go here you go here you go

Here you have some complimentary trinkets from another superseded but only 18 year old bible
Like the bible also some glues, one must mix completely the info with the brain for it to set right

003.jpg
003.jpg004.jpg005.jpg006.jpg007.jpg008.jpg009.jpg010.jpg

Only between two points in time, does one have control of how long they sit in damp underpants

Simsalabim!

Thanks Steven, Airspeed Press, pity you're closed say your miles long queues of prospective fanpeople

Please keep the discussion civil. No name-calling or insults.

@happy-diver thanks for the mea culpa sharing the drysuit maintenance pages from the book I suggested that indicate aquaseal and 3M wood weld are appropriate adhesives for some situations as I had mentioned.

For those who’ve not tried the latter, in my opinion, the red version is practically identical to the DRIS contact cement at a small fraction of the price based on my side by side testing.

Back
Top Bottom