Just Graduated to a D200!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi joewr, alcina, kidsdream, Warren_L, Darnold9999, jarhed, hunter991, & jetpilot379

Thanks for all you input and advice! I will try and get my hands on as many housings as I can and go from there.

Sadly joewr, I'm back in Toronto for the time being dealing with my "last" Canadian winter. It's currently -18 C with a windchill close to -30! YIKES! not much diving for me lately. I'll be back in Costa Mesa in June at the latest.

Alcina, I couldn't agree more, I have gone through the manual a couple of times in painful detail. I really want to know the ins and outs of this camera. I've signed up to do a intro course for the D200 this coming weekend at my local camera shop and the following weekend is an advanced course.

Hey Warren, yeah it has been a while hasn't it?! I got such a great deal on the D200 I really couldn't say no...so I didn't :D I am SUPER stoked about this baby. I've spent the entire weekend going through "everything" on this camera and continue to find new surprises. I've taken about 300 shots over the past day and a half...read the manual...adjust the settings...snap some more frames....start again... It's been a little "too chilly" for me and Humber lately..matter of fact - could have probably bought a nice little drysuit the the $$ I spend on the body and lens....maybe after the housing...there's always something to buy isn't there...I'll email you and maybe we could hook up so I could take a look at your housing.

Once again, thanks to all! I'm sure I'll have a BUNCH of silly questions for ya in the coming weeks/months...try not to laugh directly at your monitors....I do have feelings ya know.

First of the silly questions....The Domes....they are to accommodate...larger lenses? is that correct? Second silly Q: can I get away with the 18-70mm lens or will I need a substantially smaller lens like a 12-24?

I'm putty... mold me Nikoners!

dive safe,

Jeff.

Just give me a holler and you can check out the housings. I am away 3rd week of Feb in San Andres with Jarviz and a few others for a week of warm water diving, but any time after that I should be around.

As far as the dome port is concerned, it is to help correct the distortion you see from the refraction of light from the water to air, specifically with wide angle lenses. For starters, the 18-70mm is reasonably wide, but eventually you'll probably want something wider.

WannaLaguna:
Once again, thanks to all! I'm sure I'll have a BUNCH of silly questions for ya in the coming weeks/months...try not to laugh directly at your monitors....I do have feelings ya know.

No such thing as a silly question...believe me, all of us have been there!

First of the silly questions....The Domes....they are to accommodate...larger lenses? is that correct? Second silly Q: can I get away with the 18-70mm lens or will I need a substantially smaller lens like a 12-24?
Jeff.

Basically, there are two types of lens housings: Ports and Domes.

Ports are usually used to accommodate lenses of focal lengths of 60mm and longer (This is a bit over-simplified.). Ports have a flat glass plate that the transmits light to the lens.

Domes usually accommodate shorter focal length lenses(wide angle lenses) and variable focal length lenses (zoom lenses). Dome aptly describes them since they are semi-spherical. And since they are semi-spherical, they are lenses themselves. In fact, what they do is create a "virtual image" inside the dome and that is what the lens actually focuses on. Because the image is so close the front of the lens, most lenses require one to screw a "diopter" on the front of the lens--just like a filter is put on. The dome manufacturer will tell you what diopter is needed with each lens. Frequently they range from +2 to +4 diopters.

There are many, many lenses that work great in underwater applications. The two I like the most are a 60mm Micro and an 18-70mm zoom. I have other lenses, but those two are my "workhorse" UW lenses.

I hope this helps...and I am sure all of us will be happy to let you know our thoughts on whatever interests you...

joewr

alcina:
Just for clarification - they are all "ports" :wink:

There are flat ports and dome ports...

Sloppy lingo on my part! Sorry about that...:D

Thanks,

joewr...thinking...well, just thinking....

Congrats on joining the D200 club. Its a great camera.

I went with the Aquatica because it handles pretty well and the controls are very easy to use. Underwater, it is slightly negative which is useful. And it was more reasonably priced than the European housings.. :)

joewr:
No such thing as a silly question...believe me, all of us have been there!

Basically, there are two types of lens housings: Ports and Domes.

Ports are usually used to accommodate lenses of focal lengths of 60mm and longer (This is a bit over-simplified.). Ports have a flat glass plate that the transmits light to the lens.

Domes usually accommodate shorter focal length lenses(wide angle lenses) and variable focal length lenses (zoom lenses). Dome aptly describes them since they are semi-spherical. And since they are semi-spherical, they are lenses themselves. In fact, what they do is create a "virtual image" inside the dome and that is what the lens actually focuses on. Because the image is so close the front of the lens, most lenses require one to screw a "diopter" on the front of the lens--just like a filter is put on. The dome manufacturer will tell you what diopter is needed with each lens. Frequently they range from +2 to +4 diopters.

There are many, many lenses that work great in underwater applications. The two I like the most are a 60mm Micro and an 18-70mm zoom. I have other lenses, but those two are my "workhorse" UW lenses.

I hope this helps...and I am sure all of us will be happy to let you know our thoughts on whatever interests you...

joewr

THANKS JOEWR! That's some great stuff there! Everythings is coming into better focus now....please don't booo I know that was terrible!!

Wolverine:
Congrats on joining the D200 club. Its a great camera.

I went with the Aquatica because it handles pretty well and the controls are very easy to use. Underwater, it is slightly negative which is useful. And it was more reasonably priced than the European housings.. :)

Thanks Wolverine! I am LOVING this thing! I've got some great reviews on your housing from a couple folks here. I'm going to hook up with Warren_L (thanks amigo!) and check his out first hand...

Soooo many toys...sooooo little time!!

:D

Dive safe,

Jeff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom