Just got SP 90, what one custom setting do you suggest?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alashas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've had an Oly SP350 with S&S110, the refurbished camera started acting up, and I flooded the battery compartment on the strobe, which I shot TTL. When it worked, I got a lot of good shots over the past several yrs, but I started having some problems with the TTL sync. Anyway, got the Oly set from Cathy Church 3 yrs ago and used her 2 recommended custom settings: 1 for w/a - 5.6 1/125 100 ISO WB Cloudy, and the 2nd for macro - 8 1/500 ISO 100 WB Cloudy.

I'm picking up the camera tomorrow from a local camera store, but FIX, UWL - 04, S&S 110a just arrived from Backscatter [thanks, Fred, you were great to work with, very helpful and patient, too]. We're leaving Sunday for the BVI, and I have a packed weekend, so I will not have much time to experiment with the set up before we leave. I've been staying up late reading scubabd posts, copying relevant ones.

I generally shoot more w/a than macro, so what are your recommendations for the one custom setting on the S90?

By the way, I narrowed my choices to G11 and the S90 and I've really been enjoying reading relevant threads on this Canon board.

Some of the Oly photos I've taken are in albums on my smugmug site: http://honeymoon2.smugmug.com/

I appreciate your help, alashas

I don't really have any custom settings. I usually shoot Av mode, f stop to match my strobe more or less, shutter speed whatever it sets. I usually shoot with the camera in manual flash mode also and lowest power setting. I turn off all auto BS stuff and safety this and that under Menu and that stupid focus assist light and I set the display to turn off but the camera to stay on under power saver etc.

I shoot an Inon D2000 strobe or strobes so I also generally use the External Auto mode.

With my strobes I favor F4 to f 8 range and for natural light f2.0 to 5.6. I often shift to manual exposure control for natural light.

I find that the S90 likes the camera exposure control set to -1 and 1/3 stop, at least for my tastes.

If I shoot Inon sTTL mode, I use P mode on the camera usually and use the camera strobe exposure control under Func Set to augment strobe control in the Inon sTTL mode.

If shooting jpeg I like the color positive setting and sometimes also select the "fish" or "cloud" for white balance but in RAW it matters not at all of course.

N

Back
Top Bottom