Just got some ring system dry gloves!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tstormdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I just got some ring system dry gloves for my drysuit. Anything I need to keep in mind? The fingers are a little long for me, but I have very short stubby fingers. How much will they affect my dexterity? Will the natural squeeze fo the water make this any better? On land I have a hard time picking up a pen with them on. I haven't gotten to try them in he water yet, hopefully in a couple more weeks.:eyebrow: I'm really looking forward to toasty hands.:D

Which rings did you get? The good thing about most of the rings is you can put a variety of gloves on them. I like the blue smurff gloves but I also have a pair of crushed neo dry gloves that work well too. The neo gloves have better dexterity than the rubber ones but I am so used to working with the rubber gloves ( haz mat tech on a FD haz mat team) that it was an easy transition.

Steve

Congrats!

The dexterity will improve when the gloves are compressed by the water pressure, such as when they're below you. Reaching overhead will allow more air into the gloves and the dexterity will decrease.

I don't think the excess glove material on the fingertips will matter much. When I put on an oversized glove for winter diving, I have excess, too. Working overhead is more of an issue.

You could always practice prior to your next dive by putting on your suit and gloves and manipulating some clips under a foot or so of water. :)

You're going to love having warm hands! :D

Dave C

I agree, dexterity will improve as you use the gloves and does with depth. Remember what your touching and grabbing. Don't use vaseline for lube on any o-rings and allow the gloves to air out after use or they start to get pungent. If you find the gloves still to big, hit your local hardware store or Home depot and pick up a pair of industrial rubber gloves smaller to replace the others for only a few bucks. It works!

Congrats and happy diving!

I persl. never liked dry gloves....so I continue to have hd wet 5 finger 7mil gloves, never get cold or have any issues with gear handling or line work.

I hope you enjoy your new set and find them comfy and effective!

Seattle Marine is a good place to get cheap replacement gloves for ring systems - if you have separate liners, the Atlas 620 or 660 "vinylove" are less than $4 a pair, it's great to have a couple of spares around just in case.

Also, I went with one size smaller than comfortable - it seems to fit better and provide more dexterity underwater.

Diving with dry gloves is totally different. It takes some time to get use to them but in the end they are great. If nothing else it will keep your hands warm for longer dives. Play around with different liners as well.

Right now I'm having some minor technical difficulties assembling the glove system. It seems the rigid inner ring won't fit inside the trilam part of my sleeve. The sleeve is very narrow towards the end because the suit is custom fitted to me & I have very narrow wrists, wide hands, but narrow wrists. Not wanting to destroy a $2,000 drysuit, I'm going to wait until after the holidays to see if my instructor may be able to help me fit the rings in. I'll keep you all posted. Hopefully I'll get to try them out this weekend.

Right now I'm having some minor technical difficulties assembling the glove system. It seems the rigid inner ring won't fit inside the trilam part of my sleeve. The sleeve is very narrow towards the end because the suit is custom fitted to me & I have very narrow wrists, wide hands, but narrow wrists. Not wanting to destroy a $2,000 drysuit, I'm going to wait until after the holidays to see if my instructor may be able to help me fit the rings in. I'll keep you all posted. Hopefully I'll get to try them out this weekend.

What ring system did you get?

The inner "sealing rings" of the SI TECH system are slightly bendable to some degree, not rigid, and they fit easily through the standard DUI sleeve end. They will break if bent too much.

A non-standard diameter of the end of the sleeve would be very unusual, as it would require non-standard sized latex seals.

Anyway, assuming you have a standard DUI TLS350 sleeve end and SI TECH rings, here's what I do to install the outer suit ring with its inner sealing ring.

Rather than taking the time to go through the armpit and down the sleeve, I usually carefully insert my colored "sealing ring" through the wrist opening by stretching the latex enough to allow the ring to go through without bending and breaking the ring. Once past the narrow portion of the latex seal, I can position the sealing ring under the latex near the sleeve end and then mount the suit docking ring on the outside of the latex.

HTH.

Dave C

Had to be different didn't you Tammy!? :D

Back
Top Bottom