Just got Open Water Cert, Question on Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for the info, much appreciated! Are shorter fins okay if you're just in a quarry or a small area? I don't plan to be in the ocean until I get more practice. I know they do not displace as much water, but there were times I felt I was "all fins" so to speak, I'm only 5' 7". I had bought a shorter pair, but we weren't allowed to use them just the longer ones. Do you have a set of fins you like? I saw some fins with a break in the middle of the fin, does that help in some way?

Those are split fins. Stay away. LOL

Hello,

I just got my open water cert last week, I was actually doing pretty good with bouyancy in the pool.
Then we went to a Quarry and went from 3mm to 7mm wetsuits and a Halcyon BCD with backplate which I didn't use in the pool.

Everyone seems to say Halcyon is great and you'll never need another BCD, but I really didn't like the weight of the plate.
Any suggestions of another brand that is also reliable? I've seen ScubaPro, Cressi, Zeagle, and probably a few others.

Not trying to be cheap and just pay $200.00 or something, willing to spend for good equipment.

Thank you!!
Matt
My advice, and what I tell students, is to pump the brakes on major equipment purchases right out of the chute. Right now, you don’t really know what you like, don’t like, or might like because you’re just too new.

I started buying gear before I was even certified and ended up with a good assortment of everything possible. 90% of that now just wastes away in a gear closet. I ultimately settled on a soft plate and wing for some diving, aluminum back plate and wing for tropical stuff, and I’m still trying to figure out what I like for dry suit team stuff.

oh, and what ever decision you make now, or in 6 months, I will change again.

beg, borrow, rent, steal, whatever as many rigs as you can to start narrowing down your decision. I prefer a wing, but many new divers prefer the “hug” of a jacket type bcd. There is no right or wrong answer. It all about what you prefer. Then when you start narrowing it down, focus on the differences of the options and decide. It doesn’t matter what you choose, because you’re going to change your mind shortly. All that money isn’t going to just spend itself!

Halcyon is good stuff, but you definitely pay the H tax. Lots of options on plates, and the advice on weight is spot on. You’re going to need it somewhere or you will just be splashing with the snorkelers. It’s not so much the brand of equipment that makes it reliable, it’s how it is taken care of and serviced. Any of the major brands are capable of being reliable, the rest is up to you.

Good luck and welcome to the addiction. A healthy crack habit would probably have been cheaper.

Jay

Totally false. I dive single tank BPW and it’s so much better than a jacket bcd. Easier for travel too.
The original poster was unhappy with one. I then said that a backplate is not necessary. Not everybody needs to get a backplate.

Yeah, there are backplates made of aluminum or composites too, if weight is an issue. Backplates also come with some benefits. Your experience is thus certainly valuable but it might not apply to all.

I don't have one. I tried. Not my thing.

Thank you for the info, much appreciated! Are shorter fins okay if you're just in a quarry or a small area? I don't plan to be in the ocean until I get more practice. I know they do not displace as much water, but there were times I felt I was "all fins" so to speak, I'm only 5' 7". I had bought a shorter pair, but we weren't allowed to use them just the longer ones. Do you have a set of fins you like? I saw some fins with a break in the middle of the fin, does that help in some way?
I cannot speak about short fins, as I've never used them myself. So anything I would offer would be pure conjecture and no value to you.
I personally prefer Deep 6 Eddy fins, as they are stiff which is great for precise movements, light which is great for travel, and also fairly compact (also great for travel). However, you may have a different opinion on what constitutes compact.

No I think it was kind of silly to train in the simple style cumber bun and clip style in the pool and then get switched to a Halcyon with the plate for the final dives and a 7mm suit. I finally had my bouyancy pretty good under control and then felt I was going up and down a lot at the quarry dives. I'd be happy without the plate, just more weight to carry around. I just plan on basic dives to 60 or less, probably less as I just got certified. I'll look for a package without the plate... thanks!

Why would you look for a package without the plate? Get one with an aluminum plate if you don’t want the weight of a steel one.

I would make the following suggestion for the OP who has just completed their OW:

Don't buy anything other than a good quality mask that fits your face properly and is comfortable.

Now, go and test drive (rent) a bunch of different BCs, fins, regs, etc.. I made the mistake of getting on SB and asking for recommendations for gear when I got certified. I ended up spending thousands of dollars on gear that was well recommended but I ended up despising and selling for a fraction of purchase price. Your technique, buoyancy, and skill will improve with every dive, and your opinions on gear will likely shift.

Opinions on personal gear -- like a BC -- are like XXXXXXs. Everyone has got one, and the only one that actually matters is your own. Unless you have cash to burn (if so, good for you and well done), hold off purchasing until you have practical experience to know what you actually like to dive with.

I'm not a package fan. Kind of a "pick each piece for its merits" kind of guy. But if I were starting and wanted good value across the board until I acquired my own opinions and prejudices, this would be a good start.

I'm sure I'll get some disagreement from my fellow SB'ers here.

I posted the same one on here, it’s a great package.

I'm not a package fan. Kind of a "pick each piece for its merits" kind of guy. But if I were starting and wanted good value across the board until I acquired my own opinions and prejudices, this would be a good start.

I'm sure I'll get some disagreement from my fellow SB'ers here.
That is a good combo and that wing is made by OxyCheq, so for the price it's a steal...and can be steel...

While I have a couple aluminum plates, I prefer steel even for tropical locations.

I would make the following suggestion for the OP who has just completed their OW:

Don't buy anything other than a good quality mask that fits your face properly and is comfortable.
I would agree with this. Do some renting - you'll be able to try different stuff and see what you like. Then spend your money on it.

Back
Top Bottom