Just got my Tokina 10 - 17 lens . . . . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

muzikbiz22

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
. . . . and put it on my 550d / T2i for the first time. It's a little snug/stiff going on, but does click into place, mounts properly and works. Anyone else experience this ? It's definitely the right lens, etc. My other lenses are smooth when when mounting and click right into place, almost efforlessly. The Tokina takes just a tad of muscle to "click". Thoughts anyone ? As far as pic's and funtuionality, WOW, what a great lens. Can't wait to get underwater :)

. . . . and put it on my 550d / T2i for the first time. It's a little snug/stiff going on, but does click into place, mounts properly and works. Anyone else experience this ? It's definitely the right lens, etc. My other lenses are smooth when when mounting and click right into place, almost efforlessly. The Tokina takes just a tad of muscle to "click". Thoughts anyone ? As far as pic's and funtuionality, WOW, what a great lens. Can't wait to get underwater :)

I've had one for a couple years, but since I shoot with a G-12 UW I haven't used it except on solid ground.

It is a great lens. I haven't had the problem you have with mounting it on my 7D but do struggle every time I take the lens cap off mine. Not sure if they changed it but mine is like a metal cup and the only way you can get it off is to lightly grasp it (not pinching at all or it will warp and bind up) then gently twist is off. It does fit snug which is fine, at least it won't be lost.

I've got the 12-24 too and it is also a great lens. Both are very solidly built.
I also had the 11-16 f2.8 but sent it back because it fell right in the middle of the 10-17 and 12-24 so no use having 3. I used them when I shot the NASCAR races for the garage and Pit Row wide angle. They work perfect. I also shoot both on my Mark III, it cuts the corners off at full wide angle.. but if you get used to it (or crop your shots), it works great.. so don't dump it if you jump from a 1.7 crop to a 1.3 crop camera.

It is also easy to that the warp out of it with PShop CS5 if you want to straighten out your shots.
Also, a fun thing to do since it is a rectilinear lens it shoot the same shot at the horizon (level), then below and above the horizon and watch what the difference looks like in your shots.. It will work the same way underwater. Same shot position just changed the horizon.

Here is a horizon shot.. PIR-Fall Series - Prescott Outdoors' Photos | SmugMug

Here is above the horizon.. PIR-Fall Series - Prescott Outdoors' Photos | SmugMug

Here is below the horizon.. PIR-Fall Series - Prescott Outdoors' Photos | SmugMug

Here is a panorama of the track before the fans showed up.. PIR-Fall Series - Prescott Outdoors' Photos | SmugMug

Good luck with your new lens, you will really like it.

Just for the heck of it I mounted to both my 7D and T2i. I did notice a little more "stiffness" when mounting to the T2i compared to the 7D, but not so much that I have ever noticed before. Been shooting with that lens and camera combo since the 7D and T2i have been out.

azscubadude & jdandvalerie - Thank you both for your robust replies. Much appreciated !!!

I posted some shots using the T-10-17 above.. you can do a lot with it just by changing the horizon. Same would work for UW Reefs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom