Just got my rig back from annual service...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lhpdiver:
I'm not sure its good practice to hold onto those worn out parts as backups....

As a DIYer, I'm still treating all parts like little gold nuggets. Times may be changing, but old habits hard to break. When you don't have new parts, a little light sanding of an old Scubapro G200 (or 250) seat to remove the old set groove and renew the surface can put you back in business. Or those old non-standard o-rings on the balanced poppet stem can be recycled into the new poppets that use 2, one to seal and one as aq scraper to protect the sealer. Old ones work fine as a scraper. Even the exhaust valve or diaphram with a pinhole can be patched in an emergency with surgical tape or duct tape and used again.

I found that the easiest way to instal the spindle o-ring is to lube it, set it on your finger, and then stab it with the lubed spindle and it will slip right on. The corroded ends of the hose and even gauge can be dipped in the acid bath. But not to the rubber or beyond the attachment part of the gauge. Don't forget to neutralize, rinse, and dry. You may need to use a q-tip and toothpick on the gauge end as the bath will only tend to hit the outside.

Damn, $500 for a sonic cleaner. I could buy 5 more regulators on e-bay for that price.

awap:
As a DIYer, I'm still treating all parts like little gold nuggets. Times may be changing, but old habits hard to break. When you don't have new parts, a little light sanding of an old Scubapro G200 (or 250) seat to remove the old set groove and renew the surface can put you back in business. Or those old non-standard o-rings on the balanced poppet stem can be recycled into the new poppets that use 2, one to seal and one as aq scraper to protect the sealer. Old ones work fine as a scraper. Even the exhaust valve or diaphram with a pinhole can be patched in an emergency with surgical tape or duct tape and used again.

I found that the easiest way to instal the spindle o-ring is to lube it, set it on your finger, and then stab it with the lubed spindle and it will slip right on. The corroded ends of the hose and even gauge can be dipped in the acid bath. But not to the rubber or beyond the attachment part of the gauge. Don't forget to neutralize, rinse, and dry. You may need to use a q-tip and toothpick on the gauge end as the bath will only tend to hit the outside.

Damn, $500 for a sonic cleaner. I could buy 5 more regulators on e-bay for that price.

As always - Thanks awap !

My problem with old parts is I'm good at collecting them - but not good at remembering where they came from. I probably have 4 old margarine containers full of little computer parts on the shelf, and the pile never seems to shrink.

I know I called it a spindle - but is it a spindle or a spool (or both ?).

I think I must be mis-labelling what I've seen in use as a "sonic cleaner". On more than 1 service techs' bench I've seem some sort of flat surfaced device which has a coffee tin on it - filled with vinegar solution and something that looks like a poker chip. There is a centrifugal flow to the solution in the can. It sure doesn't look like a $500 piece of equipment.

It's call the HP Spool. There are different ones that go with different gauges. They are not interchangeable. They cost about $2.00. Find the one you need and carry a spare. If it was leaking when you got it back from service then the tech didn't service it. I always check them and replace them if they are nasty otherwise I replace the o-rings.

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom