Just got my Intro cert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From what I hear, the best time to dive Manatee is when water's high and everything else is flooded and the vis is up and the flow is down.

I haven't been there yet but most of the divers I know who go there go in at Freedman and go downstream making it a one way trip.

Yeah, I've heard that's a good dive since you're going with the flow, but to get to Friedman's you have to go with someone who's already been there, and I'd like to verify the traverse first, since getting back to Friedman's on 1/3 would be damn near impossible.

Ben

OBG:

"You guys are right about the inline sink part, nonetheless, as you're trying to exit the cavern it is sucking you in, making it a siphon."

i see what you are saying... normally, though, we stay away from where the exit (the syphon) narrows and the current becomes strong. while we do feel the general direction of the current in the cavern, it usually isn't too bad unless we drift towards the exit tunnel.

also, i just dove Peacok One and Orange Grove Sink yesterday, and i loved them. they are amazing dives. i can't wait to do some cave diving there.

Just noticed your thread...A BIG congrats!
I read the whole thread, so far, and perhaps your Ins'tr took you in a "worst case" to show that there is much more to learn and also you would be more relaxed for the rest.
I hope my Intro is as thorough as yours.
Perhaps we will run into each other down here sometime.

Chuck

OneBrightGator:
Yeah, I've heard that's a good dive since you're going with the flow, but to get to Friedman's you have to go with someone who's already been there, and I'd like to verify the traverse first, since getting back to Friedman's on 1/3 would be damn near impossible.

Ben

I agree but most that I know did it as a trust-me dive. I'd feel better doing the setup too though.

Downstream dives with current are hectic.

I did a dive on Saturday at Casa Cenote between Tulum and Akumal. There is a tunnel under the road from the Cenote to the sea, about 400' in all.

The current was so strong I had to hold onto a rock to avoid passing my buddy laying the line. We shot through this cave in about seven minutes. The return trip took nearly three times that long, a total dive time of 27 minutes. Overall rating of the dive was "scary as F**K", but in a good way. Knowing that the worst thing that could happen is that we may have to walk back to the cenote via the resturaunt, made it OK. It was kinda like riding a roller coaster while underwater, while underground.

I really dont envy all you florida guys the high flow systems I hear you talking about, but this is a great example of when you should change the rule of thirds to the rule of eights or twelves. Something I think should be highly emphasized in the intro course, and that Intro divers should be highly cautious of.

Downstream is more dangerous, and therefore should be considered in many cases, not appropriate for intro divers.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom