Just got certified in Maui now have a few ?'s about Oahu and Air Consumption

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

penywisexx

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just got certified by Drew Andersen at Maui Diving & Scuba Center. It was a 3 day 6 dive class (all ocean no pool time). It was only three people in the class and was $189 that included 100% of the gear. The class was great and very complete, my wife and I got a lot out of it and now feel like we can be safe divers.

My only problem was air consumption, I was going through air like it was going out of style. I did not feel nervous, but could only keep a bottom time of 30 minutes @ 30-35 feet on an 80 CF tank. I know I was flailing a lot, but that was all just trying to maintain my buoyancy in the water, I'm not a small guy 5'11 230#. I got better at it on my last dive and lasted about 30 minutes but still could not stop using my hands.

Would it be a good idea to get a pair of webbed gloves? I saw a pair here for about $20.00 at maui dive shop. I feel that if I had the gloves I would flail less and be able to control my position in the water much better. Am I right or wrong about the gloves?

Also I am going to Oahu next week and wanted to know of any good places for shore dives that are not too deep and would be recommended for new divers.

THANKS!

WELCOME TO SCUBABOARD!
Your rate of air consumption will get better with more dives, mine sure did and continues to get better. I flailed my hands a little bit at first but over came this by consciously holding my hands together. Are you relaxed? I find that the more relaxed I am the easier time I have improving my skills. I think the webbed gloves are a bad idea, they would only be a crutch for you. Better to learn how not to flail around then depend on webbed gloves to do that. Maybe your weight needs to be adjusted, just a thought.

As soon as you stop worrying about your air consumption, it will begin to improve. Just relax and do more diving and forget the webbed gloves. Practice and patience and diving with a good mentor will move you up the skills ramp faster than you imagine.

I just returned from Kauai where my new diver brother dived with us. On his first dive, he blew threw his air in 30 minutes. Eight dives later, he could go almost 50 minutes.

Congratualtions and welcome to ScubaBoard!

IMO, it's better to learn to dive properly than to use equipment like webbed gloves to cover up deficiencies. Hands are for communicating, holding things, tying lines, etc., not propulsion or control (divers with disabilities notwithstanding).

You need more time in the water, period. And you likely weren't properly balanced in your rental gear. Just give it time. That goes for both your flailing and your consumption. If possible, get a more experienced diver to go out and help you with weighting, specifically placement.

For info on Oahu, check the regional forums: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/hawaii-ohana/

Congrats!! lol...I know exactly where you are coming from...I am a "hoover" as well, but, thankfully, it does get better over time!! There were 5 of us doing our OW dives, and I am sure I was by far, the most comfortable, calm, trimmed person in our group..yet, I would run out (hit our scheduled notification of low) of air first, every dive.

I went to doubles immediately, so I wouldn't cut my or my experienced buddies' dives short...After a bunch of dives, my consumption was still high.,...then suddenly over the course of a few dives, it got much better..not a big gear change, but there was a noticeable comfort level change in my diving..which I wasn't aware of prior..

It boils down to diving..and more diving..after that..dive some more.

*still looking for 120's..lol*

I just got certified by Drew Andersen at Maui Diving & Scuba Center. It was a 3 day 6 dive class (all ocean no pool time). It was only three people in the class and was $189 that included 100% of the gear. The class was great and very complete, my wife and I got a lot out of it and now feel like we can be safe divers.

My only problem was air consumption, I was going through air like it was going out of style. I did not feel nervous, but could only keep a bottom time of 30 minutes @ 30-35 feet on an 80 CF tank. I know I was flailing a lot, but that was all just trying to maintain my buoyancy in the water, I'm not a small guy 5'11 230#. I got better at it on my last dive and lasted about 30 minutes but still could not stop using my hands.

Would it be a good idea to get a pair of webbed gloves? I saw a pair here for about $20.00 at Maui dive shop. I feel that if I had the gloves I would flail less and be able to control my position in the water much better. Am I right or wrong about the gloves?

Also I am going to Oahu next week and wanted to know of any good places for shore dives that are not too deep and would be recommended for new divers.

THANKS!

Your SAC rate (Surface Air Consumption rate) will get better with more dives. My SAC finally got down to a good rate on my vacation diving on the Big Island earlier this month.

Many people on ScubaBoard had said the same thing that I just related to you. I didn't do anything magical to make it happen it just finally feel into place.

It happens sooner with some people and later in others.

The flailing you mentioned does use up a lot of air. Keep in mind that this is something that is brand new to you and being done in a foreign environment. As you get more comfortable you will flail less and get to the point where every movement has a non-wasteful purpose.

You will also learn an awful lot from just reading ScubaBoard. There are many knowledgeable divers on the board that possess a wealth of information that they are willing to share.

Welcome to the wonderful world of SCUBA.

HERE's a post I wrote about improving efficiency to improve gas consumption. The good news is that it's fixable, with time and a little diligence. The answer is NOT to make your hand-swimming more powerful! You need your hands for other things :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Fixed Link

Back
Top Bottom